AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
321 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm thinking of running bi-directional video completely over cat5e.

Are there any reasons to wire RG6 also? From headend to local sources.

Thanks

·
Registered
351 Posts
Yes, when you find cat5 video to be unacceptable.

I have tried video over shielded cat5 and it was unacceptable. Go with RG6 if you can.

·
Registered
1,897 Posts
I have run video over Media Twist which is a high end type of twisted pair cable by Belden. I have run both S-Video and RGB over a distance of about 100 feet with excellent results. The Baluns I used were passive baluns. On the other hand I also have some 100 foot Composite Video runs on RG-6 and they show degradation and a loss of sharpness in the picture. (in that case there was not room in the conduit to pull in the media twist so the best I could do was some coax.

..Doyle

·
Registered
1,304 Posts
If you are going to use CAT5e for video I would use a transceiver system that has a compensation network built into it for signal loss. Audio Control has an inexpensive solution and a whole batch of other companies have proprietary solutions. Passive baluns work as long as the runs are very short. I have found that they work best in CCTV applications.

Alan

·
Registered
1,304 Posts
The best of the best. Very complicated but very versatile. You can successfully run composite or s-video 700 ft and component 500 ft without signal degradation by specification ( I have both seen it and installed systems myself so I know this is true ) and I suspect you might even be able to push it past the spec but 700 ft ought to take in most installations.

Alan

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.