AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

· Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After installing ATI Radeon display driver version 6.14.10.6476, 9/9/2004, and the supplied control panel I'm experiencing problem with generating video properly on my Windows XP/SP2, Radeon 9200/128 Mb, system. It all worked flawlessly before this "upgrade".

Symptoms:

- Theater Tech version 1.5.0.64 does not display video at all

- dScaler version 4.1.8 DOES display video in full screen mode but NOT in windowed mode (normally used for low resolution TV signal)

- (my old) WinDVD 3.0 displays video as it should in both modes

In both the TT and dScaler case I think video is generated but the video layer is hidden under some "curtain layer".

I've tried to resolve it by using the supplied "remove all ATI driver and program utility" and the reinstall my old ATI working driver and software but the problem remains. I've also reinstalled TT ver 1.5 and then patched with latest 1.5 patch. Didn't help.

Is it some "features" in this new display driver that has to be configured or is it bugs in/features used by TT and dScaler that simply are not compatible? Or...?

Does anybody have a clue how to resolve this?

/ Carl

· Registered
1,106 Posts
Do a search for "Driver cleaner" on google. It's freeware and works great. Do in the following order:

1. Uninstall all ATi related components (no restarts in between)

2. Reboot after last uninstall completes

3. Boot into safe mode. very important. if you miss safemode, shut down and try again. Don't log in yet.

4. Once in safe mode, cancel out of any hardware detection/driver install stuff.

5. now run driver cleaner. 1st select to clean ATi. Do this twice just to be sure you get them all. Then from the drop down menu, select CAB Clean. Clean driver CABS.

6. Reboot

7. Log in normally.

8. Cancel out of any hardware detection stuff like before.

9. Run the Catalyst Driver Install. I reccomend using the smaller download that has the original Control panel and not the new fancy one.

10. Reinstall DirectX 9c

You should be good to go now :)

let us know how it goes.

· Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you very much for your support and advice Dogmanky! Tried your procedure with latest driver. Unfortunately it all worked as before... Probably some changes in the video driver that's causing the problem then.

Will try same procedure and install older (previously) working driver that I have.

Will be back...

· Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
After trying the suggested procedure above removing and installing several of the versions of display drivers including the working one(-s) my experience is that this still doesn't solve the problem.

One weak part might be me executing the last procedure step. re-install DirectX 9c. I've re-downloaded and run this update file from MS site but I'm not sure if anything really happened. Is there a way making sure this procedure is executed?

I checked dScaler bug reports and found that someone has encountered exactly the same symptoms as I BUT with a Nvidia graphic card. The common denominator is Win XP, SP2.

So my guess is that the problem obviously is triggered by "updating" driver but the cause is something else... I'm I right, and more importantly is there advice around how to solve it?

· Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thank you for the advice Vern! Unfortunately it didn't make any difference. The controls were set to "default", I changed them of course but no change was noticed apart from in full screen mode (where the control change was in effect).

· Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Now I'm beginning to get REALLY puzzled... Problem not solved BUT at least a work around for TT.

Everything "upgraded" to latest ATi driver (Catalyst 4.10/6.14.10.6483) and control panel, DirectX 9c (reinstalled?) and even Windows Media Player 10 in a desperate attempt. (WMP actually plays DVD acceptable but probably not using the better TT/Cineplayer codec?)

I noticed that when I had a full screen browser window open and started TT it actually displayed a proper overlay on top! So I decided to try and change the settings of the desktop from "None"/black to "None"/any_color - and voila. Unfortunately dScaler doesn't work apart in full screen mode (=not good).

Are we homing in to the problem/solution?

· Registered
54 Posts
I had the same problem - used every trick in the book - cleaning out the drivers etc.

I had applied all MS fixes and updated my ATI Catalyst drivers and - no overlay video output. Drove me crazy for half a day.

This is what made it work for me - have done it on 2 machines with 9600XT's and two machines with AIW9800Pro's. All Machines with all the latest MS fixed (till 11/02) but WITHOUT media player 10.

1. Remove all ATI software and drivers (follow procedures in dogmanky's earlier post)

2. Re-Install DX9c

3. Re-Install AC3Filter.

Viola! everything's back to normal!

Hope this helps.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.