AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, in the market for a new HT Dvd player and was looking for opinions/experiences from the good people here, CD/DVD-a audio is secondary I am looking for a good video performer to go with a Screenplay 7200 or Sharp ZX10000U, lets assume that cost has no bearing. Thanks in advance for any opinion. :)

·
Banned
3,403 Posts
I just bought a really good player the Toshiba SD-4800 It's progressive scan and it has zooming, and it will play DVD-A. Under $200 if your buget will allow.:)

·
Registered
27,969 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by ullose
Hi, in the market for a new HT Dvd player and was looking for opinions/experiences from the good people here, CD/DVD-a audio is secondary I am looking for a good video performer to go with a Screenplay 7200 or Sharp ZX10000U, lets assume that cost has no bearing. Thanks in advance for any opinion. :)
Cost is always a bearing. It's hard to narrow down choices without knowing how much you can spend.

The Panasonic RP-82 is highly recommended for video quality and comes cheap (around $200), but it's construction quality could be better and it's an ugly machine (silver front panel).

Now, if you are planning spend $2000 rather than $200, that puts us into a whole different category of suggestions.

·
Registered
352 Posts
I think you would be hard pressed to find better video than what the RP-82 delivers. I retired my sony 9000es because the panny is that much better.

·
Registered
301 Posts
I'd recommend something that can match the native resolution of your projector if you want the absolute best in picture quality.

A pre-built HTPC with everything installed can smoke just about, let me re-phrase that, can smoke any DVD player when you're talking about hooking it up to a projector that can accept a source that will do pixel to pixel mapping.

That would yield the absolute best picture, features would be lacking (DVD-Audio, easy zoom feature, etc), but as you said those are secondary to picture quality.

Mike

·
Registered
2,285 Posts
Mike,

The HTPC approach may be the best suggestion to ullose if it's just the "right" HTPC approach.

Do you know of a pre-built HTPC that can beat this set of specifications:

http://www.immersiveinc.com/products_asimilator.html

OR

Do you know of a HTPC PCI video card that can beat this set of specifications:

http://www.immersiveinc.com/products_holo3d.html

Awesome stuff, these two! :cool:

ullose,

Of course you might want to audition a superb non-native-resolution video source solution before you go down the HTPC path - the $1200 Denon DVD-3800. Also awesome - at least on CRT-based displays and maybe on at least one of the display devices you mention.

·
Registered
301 Posts
Well, why couldn't said HTPC just use that video card?

And not to split hairs, but couldn't that all in one box solution really just be considered a high end HTPC with a nice (very nice!) box and custom OS?

Regardless, something like what you posted is what I'd get if I were starting from scratch all over again. If it performs anything like it could, it would destroy any consumer DVD player with additional video processing, Faroujda (?) or otherwise.

Around how much would something like that go for? Under 3 grand U.S.?

Mike

·
Registered
27,969 Posts
I think HTPC people tend to forget that not everyone is interested in building a computer to play their DVDs.

Back to the subject at hand, I use a Denon DVD-1600 (around $400) that produces terrific video and audio quality through my NEC LT-240 projector. The DVD-3800 is said to offer some improvement, but has a spotty track-record as far as reliability goes (many owners complaining about freeze-ups on their discs).

·
Registered
301 Posts
From what ullose has said, I would not reccommend he try to build his own HTPC, or even get one with an obvious software interface.

What I can infer is that he wants the ABSOLUTE best picture quality to go with his undoubtably very nice projector. He also doesn't want to be too much involved in the tweaking process, hence the cost not a major factor approach. This leaves out most mass market options (i.e. stand alone DVD players you get at a local electronics store)

The low end would be a nice, pre-built HTPC, with all software and remote capabilities already programmed, such that user interface is just as easy as a conventional DVD player.

The middle would include the Immersive, and another unnameable company, which basically uses the HTPC approach, but masks it to the end user enough such that it seems like a larger than average DVD player/

The high end would include mega buck DVD players and video processors from companies like Meridian and Faroujda.

Since the picture quality from the companies like Immersive will equal that of the mega-buck companies, I personally don't feel that it's worth it to spend the extra money. I'm sure that Immersive is more than happy to provide as much customer service as the megabuck companies offer.

Bottom line is picture quality, and something that outputs 480p max resolution will fall short of other technologies, no question.

If he were buying a rear projection set, or even a lower tier projector, I'd say the Panasonic is the way to go. But I think we'd all agree he'd be happiest with the best picture quality available.

Mike

·
Registered
36 Posts
I found myself in the same situation when I got my Sim2 HT300 projector. Saw all the raves here about the Panasonic RP82, but I bought the new Toshiba SD4800 because of its great features (and appearance) and similar low price. I was willing to spend much more, but thought I'd give this one a try and then upgrade if I wasn't satisfied. From what I've read here, the costlier DVDs provide much greater improvements in the audio than the video.

I find the picture quality to be very good, although I have no experience with more expensive DVDs for comparison. I keep wondering what I might be missing, but I really can't complain about this picture AT ALL.

For under $200, you can try either of these and start enjoying the show... Heck, my component cables cost more than this DVD!

-John6002

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks!! for the great replys guys, I dropped by a local shop yesturday just to have a peak around and they had the Sharp ZX9000U there being feed by the Denon 2800 MK2 and the pic quality looked great, just wondering what your thoughts are on this unit?

·
Registered
27,969 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by ullose
Thanks!! for the great replys guys, I dropped by a local shop yesturday just to have a peak around and they had the Sharp ZX9000U there being feed by the Denon 2800 MK2 and the pic quality looked great, just wondering what your thoughts are on this unit?
Denon 2800 and 2800 MK2 have the chroma upsampling bug . Not recommended. They have fixed the bug on most of their other current-year players, but not those models.

·
Registered
2,285 Posts
Josh,

Just as a reminder, the spotty track record with the Denon 3800 has been debugged by Denon as you can see by checking the most recent postings near the end of the "Special Denon DVD-3800 Thread" topic in this forum.

It's video PQ should beat that that from the 2800 MKII due to various leading edge stuff being done in the 3800's video circuits. (...the Denon 9000 does it even better) I have a 3800 with no problems, no chroma upsampling error, and no Y/C delay. Much to my surprise it plays "everything" I've thrown at it so far with no lip sync problems and no sign of a layer change, ever. I have very banged up CD's that it plays without a hitch. I did a dumb thing last week and BADLY scratched the laser-read-side of my new THX Ultimate Demo Disc :mad: - but the 3800 didn't even care - played right on through as if the disc was pristine.

Denon finally got it right with the 3800 (and 9000) - unfortunately it took a while to get to the bottom of that laser pickup component problem. But they DID finally find it and the images due to that Si504 deinterlacer and other video channel design elements are world class. I no longer care to attend the movie theater! (Except that doggone popcorn sure is seductive. :D )

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
pnichols you read my mind, was just going to ask about the 3800, I did read the long thread on its problems and the fix that Denon has come up with on the units that are acting up, I think at this moment in time the 3800 is the front runner for my choice of players and your post as just reinforced that decision, thanks again guys for the replys. :)

·
Registered
27,969 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by pnichols
Just as a reminder, the spotty track record with the Denon 3800 has been debugged by Denon as you can see by checking the most recent postings near the end of the "Special Denon DVD-3800 Thread" topic in this forum.
Interesting. I stopped reading the 3800 threads after I decided not to buy one. Thanks for the update, Phil.

I'm glad to hear that they finally got to the bottom of that problem, but regardless I am still very impressed with the picture quality of my DVD-1600 and don't feel the immediate need to upgrade.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.