AVS Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
537 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone.

I have a question that I hope some of you might be able to answer..


When playing flac music files through Foobar, I use the WASAPI output plugin, and I love it. I love knowing that whatever is stored on the file is exactly bit for bit what is hitting my soundcard.


Now here is the kicker. I have just discovered what many of you have known for some time, the intiresting idea of MKV/flac movies, and I hope to be able to use that. However, I am wondering if there is a video player that will use wasapi to output sound like foobar does for music?


If there is, I dont care what it costs, I will buy it.. I would love it even more if its free.


Can something like VLC or the other one (i cant remember what its called, but ends in -hc) do that?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,744 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by zryder /forum/post/17035174


Hello everyone.

I have a question that I hope some of you might be able to answer..


When playing flac music files through Foobar, I use the WASAPI output plugin, and I love it. I love knowing that whatever is stored on the file is exactly bit for bit what is hitting my soundcard.


Now here is the kicker. I have just discovered what many of you have known for some time, the intiresting idea of MKV/flac movies, and I hope to be able to use that. However, I am wondering if there is a video player that will use wasapi to output sound like foobar does for music?


If there is, I dont care what it costs, I will buy it.. I would love it even more if its free.


Can something like VLC or the other one (i cant remember what its called, but ends in -hc) do that?

On the other words, you are looking to bitstream your audio potion of the video file, right?


If so, then you need...


Hardware: Asus Xonar HDAV, regular, Slim or Deluxe version

You need this video card to send the process PAP audio stream such as TrueHD and DTS MA to your preamp.


Software: TMT3

You need this software and select HDMI-pass thru and you will get a bit perfect/bit stream audio portion from your video source such as DVD and BD.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
537 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thats not quite what I meant..


I am looking to bitstream.. but I am looking to bitstream FLAC tracks from inside a MKV.. not bitstreaming TrueHD or DTSMA


WASAPI and Foobar can do this for the audio, I just need something to do the same while playing the video.


Its my understanding that the Xonar would not be required, since I am not playing TrueHD or DTSMA, but rather FLAC, the Free Lossless Audio Codec
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,799 Posts

Quote:
I am looking to bitstream.. but I am looking to bitstream FLAC tracks from inside a MKV

That is most definitely not what your trying to do.


What you are trying to achieve is decoding of the flac file to pcm, and bit perfect (non re-sampled) output of the pcm signal.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
5,402 Posts
Reclock will give you WASAPI exclusive for any direct show player (MPC-HC, Zoom Player, Media Player, Windows Media Center, ...). Add ffdshow latest version for non-downsampled flac decoding to LPCM, and of course a MKV splitter (Haali). And an ATI 4xxx card and you're set.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
368 Posts
Reclock.


Google it. It's from slysoft, the guys behind anydvd. It will allow you to use wasapi exclusive mode while playing movies with any directshow player. I use it with mediaportal, but it should work with just about anything.


beaten to the punch.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
537 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thank you guys! after a few hours of playing around with it, I am happy to report that reclock is sending bitperfect audio through to my speakers (using my desktop as a testbench for now). Tonight I will see if I can get the same thing with my soon to be purchased video card, most likely a radeon 4350, or 4550 if I can find one for cheap.


Or would you think an Nvidia 9xxx series card would work better, using hdmi out carrying up to 7.1 24b lpcm?
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
16,132 Posts
Somehow GeForce 9300/9400+ReClock WASAPI is limited to 16bit; some user reported 44.1kHz does not work; no support for 88.2kHz and 176.4kHz (some music contents). Overall Radeon HD4xxx HDMI audio is better.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
5,402 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by gimpgutter /forum/post/17040753


What about J River Media Theater? That is what I use for Wasapi output on MKV files.

http://www.jrmediacenter.com/


It has got a slick interface too.

AFAIK, WASAPI only works for audio in JR MC. During video playback I find no way to set output mode to WASAPI, and ffdshow always shows 48/16 when decoding MKV's flac tracks.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
16,132 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tulli /forum/post/17043864


ffdshow always shows 48/16 when decoding MKV's flac tracks.

ffdshow resamples audio streams to whatever bit depth you choose in 'Output' tab. (madFlac is a preferred FLAC decoder in this forum that supports bit-perfect decode.)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
8 Posts
I use Jriver for Video and Audio and i get Wasapi support. Use Event Style is the stable one. Altough through my ASUS Sound Card i use Kernal Streaming. The best video player and audio player in the market. The rest are junk.

I am using Jriver 17 and it open a whole new world for me. Use there MadVR video rendererd in Chroma sampling and my movies have never looked better. For Audio I do, Wave for 5.1 tracks from SACD or DVDAs and flac for 2channels. For video I use VC-1 with wma lossless.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,210 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Douglasp_75 /forum/post/21726749


I use Jriver for Video and Audio and i get Wasapi support. Use Event Style is the stable one. Altough through my ASUS Sound Card i use Kernal Streaming. The best video player and audio player in the market. The rest are junk.

I am using Jriver 17 and it open a whole new world for me. Use there MadVR video rendererd in Chroma sampling and my movies have never looked better. For Audio I do, Wave for 5.1 tracks from SACD or DVDAs and flac for 2channels. For video I use VC-1 with wma lossless.

As a huge fan of JRiver, I appreciate your response. But, dude, seriously, the thread was 2 1/2 years old!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
470 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by renethx /forum/post/17042118


Somehow GeForce 9300/9400+ReClock WASAPI is limited to 16bit

ATI HDMI driver for XP is also limited to 16bit for unpacked streams over KS.
 
1 - 17 of 17 Posts
Top