AVS Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is there any difference in the video processing and upscaling quality of the A700 compared to the V667? Also, is there any sound quality difference that is super noticeable? I can get the 667 brand new for 395, and the 700 for 499 brand new. I am running KRK ST-6 studio monitors which are some incredible speakers, especially for the price, and am wondering if there's a noticeable sound difference and video upscaling difference?


I also just off the phone w/ Yamaha tech support: 800 292 2982 and the dude seemed overall pretty knowledgeable and very honest, even saying it may be cheaper to buy a Yamaha from say, Newegg than their own online store, haha, which was effing awesome, and he said there probably won't be much of a difference, but wasn't absolutely, 100% sure.


Anyone out there w/ any experience on these two? I'm mainly super wanting to know if the VQ will be noticeably better or about the same if I'm say, upcoverting my PS2's 480i component out to HDMI 1080P.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
18,923 Posts
Unknown what chip both are using. Best guess is they are the same, or very much the same in terms of the circuit boards, including the VP. Without a service manual, or opening them both up, there's no way to tell.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelJHuman /forum/post/19576631


Unknown what chip both are using. Best guess is they are the same, or very much the same in terms of the circuit boards, including the VP. Without a service manual, or opening them both up, there's no way to tell.

The tech support guy said the Aventage series uses Anchor Bay tech, so I presume it would be a quality picture, but I'm curious as to whether or not there's that much a of a difference perceivably between the two upscaling wise, if a difference at all.


I would be running this out to a 1080P LCD monitor, that is approximately 21 inches wide, and sitting at it like I would using a computer (it's my computer screen)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7,815 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tucom /forum/post/19576728


The tech support guy said the Aventage series uses Anchor Bay tech, so I presume it would be a quality picture, but I'm curious as to whether or not there's that much a of a difference perceivably between the two upscaling wise, if a difference at all.


I would be running this out to a 1080P LCD monitor, that is approximately 21 inches wide, and sitting at it like I would using a computer (it's my computer screen)

Chances are the LCD monitor has as good or better video processor than any low to mid level AVR. Possibly even better than an AVR in the high price range. It's going to take whatever you send it and try to make it 1080p anyway. Go for the 667 and save the money for some extra BD's.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by phantom52 /forum/post/19576799


Chances are the LCD monitor has as good or better video processor than any low to mid level AVR. Possibly even better than an AVR in the high price range. It's going to take whatever you send it and try to make it 1080p anyway. Go for the 667 and save the money for some extra BD's.

The monitor I'm using doesn't have a good scaler AT LL, it's a computer LCD monitor, the Gateway FPD2185W, and scaler is absolute crap w/ the Component In, or at least is implemented *VERY* poorly w/ the Component In, but I also want the HDMI one cable deal of the RX or A series AVR, and I'm all about VQ as much as SQ, but if there's not much of a difference, as in very little difference, then I'll stick w/ the cheaper 667 option.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7,815 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tucom /forum/post/19576978


The monitor I'm using doesn't have a good scaler AT LL, it's a computer LCD monitor, the Gateway FPD2185W, and scaler is absolute crap w/ the Component In, or at least is implemented *VERY* poorly w/ the Component In, but I also want the HDMI one cable deal of the RX or A series AVR, and I'm all about VQ as much as SQ, but if there's not much of a difference, as in very little difference, then I'll stick w/ the cheaper 667 option.

You may want to try and get the HDMI to DVI converter from Monoprice and see if your display improves. That alone should probably help at least some. I would still stick with the 667 for this also.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by phantom52 /forum/post/19577042


You may want to try and get the HDMI to DVI converter from Monoprice and see if your display improves. That alone should probably help at least some. I would still stick with the 667 for this also.

I actually did get one, but I want the audio and video in one cable, and a base unit to handle that and my legacy analogue sources, thanks for the suggestion though.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
18,923 Posts
With a monitor that small, I would not worry about VP at all. ABT has a good deinterlacer, and both the receivers probably have the same ABT chip.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
25 Posts
I am also trying to decide between the two receivers but I have

a late model (Feb. 2010 build) Panny 65V10 plasma & video quality is important -


Currently I run a Panny BD65 player and a Dish Network 722k via HDMI

directly to the panel for video and lossy optical into my older Yamaha 5.1AV receiver that can't do DTS.


Please PM me on locations for those stated prices.


Thanks
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7,815 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronmarr1 /forum/post/19659545


I am also trying to decide between the two receivers but I have

a late model (Feb. 2010 build) Panny 65V10 plasma & video quality is important -


Currently I run a Panny BD65 player and a Dish Network 722k via HDMI

directly to the panel for video and lossy optical into my older Yamaha 5.1AV receiver that can't do DTS.


Please PM me on locations for those stated prices.


Thanks

I wouldn't choose any AVr for its video processing. Your Display will change it anyway and probably do it better. Choose one that has the connections,power,convenience you need and go from there. For the Yamaha's there are some very good prices on them at 6 ave.com for the 1065. For the A1000 check out audioholics for their prices. And of course there is also google. Just be sure when you google to get a reliable dealer. Amazon can also be your friend for some good prices. Good luck and enjoy.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
25 Posts
Thanks -


My concern is what the receiver might do to impair the video signal as opposed to processing as I am satisfied w/ what my panel does at this point.


I like the idea of using all HDMI for Blue Ray and Dish 722k STB to the receiver and one HDMI to the panel - but not at the expense of loss of video quality.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
18,923 Posts
I have never understood all this concern over receivers "tampering" with HDMI signals...


Anyway, I have seen no compelling evidence I lose any video quality using my Yamha RX-Z7 as a video hub. Far as I can tell, if you don't like the video processing, turn it off.


Some people have complained that ever after they turned it off, they stll had video issues. Not being in their home, I can't confirm they were not imagining things or some sort of user error.


Seeing how I have owned 3 Yamaha receivers with HDMI, and not seen any video issues using them as a hub, I would personally buy any of their models and assume I could turn off processing as desired. Your milage may vary. Buy with a return policy if you are not happy
 
1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top