AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently purchased a Sony 50XR800 LCD RPTV. The picture is great with HD source material. DVD on this set looks good as well. However, DSS and S-Video from my TIVO set on high quality record mode is very poor. So poor that the wife (not a AV nerd like me) commented about the bad picture. I guess I need a line doubler or scaler? Some questions for you all:

How do I find out what resolutions this TV set will accept? As in what video processors will work on this set? The manual says very little about this. “Enables you to receive the 1080i, 720p, 480p and 480i digital TV formatsâ€.

The LCD panels on this set are 1366 x 768. Is this the native resolution on this set?

I read on the form about a display device’s ‘sweet spot’ resolution? What is it on this set?

Finally what line doublers would you recommend for improving DSS & TIVO picture quality on this set?

I’m not too concerned about buying something that will improve my DVD picture as it looks quite good with the inexpensive Toshiba progressive DVD player I have now. I have a Yamaha DVD-C920 with DCDi on the way to me. So I suspect the already good DVD picture I currently have will look even better with the DCDi player?

I like what I read about the iScan product. Small, plug and play, set and forget. The price is right, as in less than $1K. That’s all I can spend, as I blew the budget on the TV set. All I think I need is something that will make non HD DSS and TIVO look better. Not super good, just so it’s not distracting to watch these sources. Any suggestions would be helpful.

Ps. Any recommended reading to learn more about this stuff so I don’t have to pester you folks with these basic questions in the future?

Thanks in advance,

Gizmoguy

·
Registered
1,368 Posts
I also be interested to know if anyone had any success connecting a video processor through DVI to this TV. A lot of people have tried to connect but have not been able to use the native resolution of the display. Does anyone knows if even a more expensive scaler like cs-2 will work?

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.