AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
567 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a Sharp Aquos LC-32D7U hooked up via HDMI to a Scientific Atlanta 8300HD, and set up output 1080i. I experimented with outputting 480i/p/720p signals in native format, but found the picture to be better with the cable box doing the scaling. However, I find the non HD picture to be atrocious even though my TV is on 32". My Denon DVD-2910 hooked up via DVI outputs pristine pictures so I know SD picture can in theory look better (maybe not as good as the DVD, but better). Is there any external processer that can make the non HD signals substantially better without spending over $1000?

·
Registered
4,190 Posts
Others may disagree, but I am skeptical about it.

Maybe the problem is the SA HD box--can you try some other SD sources and see if you notice any improvement?

·
Registered
423 Posts
The Scientific Atlanta 8300HD is certainly the culprit in regards to the poor scaling of 480i signals. A separate processor will improve the picture if you feed it 480i, but it wont improve the quality of the signal by much. You might want to look at the Algolith's Mosquito as an alternative. It might help with your poor SD outputs.

http://www.algolith.com/index.php?id=home_theater&L=0

Other than that, anything with DCDi is the way to go for SD video signals IMO.

·
Registered
567 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by megaman_y
The Scientific Atlanta 8300HD is certainly the culprit in regards to the poor scaling of 480i signals. A separate processor will improve the picture if you feed it 480i, but it wont improve the quality of the signal by much. You might want to look at the Algolith's Mosquito as an alternative. It might help with your poor SD outputs.

Other than that, anything with DCDi is the way to go for SD video signals IMO.
Looks great, but its $4,995!!!

·
Registered
423 Posts
Actually it lists for $2500.

If you want to try a video processor that may help and is under $999, I suggest you look at the Plasma Enhancer by pixelmagicsystems. The only reason I suggest this is because it incorporates DCDi for video processing and scaling, which in my experience helps allot for video material.

There are allot of scalers you can get in that price range, but I dont think many of them will improve SD quality in your situation. Good luck.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.