AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
674 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can anyone suggest a video processor that might meet my needs based on the criteria listed below?

I have a number of Tivos, in fact more than 95% of my viewing of media is what's recorded on them. Obviously they're outputting something substantially less than 480 but if I'm watching on an HDTV I need to do something to clean up the signal and enhance it.

DVD is the other 5%

High Definition will probably make up about 5% of my viewing

I will probably be hooking it up to one of my computers as well.

I am probably going to be purchasing the Pioneer 503 cmx and believe that based upon what I've read in these forums that the deinterlacer/scanner that the unit uses is not very good. This led me to think I should go with a Leeza or some such other video processor.

·
Registered
105 Posts
What is your budget?

As far as the Leeza, it has 7 inputs, 4 SD and 3 HD passthru's. So it might be short on inputs for all your Tivo's, unless you're doing some type of external video switching. Also, Key Digital is offering a free a RP56 w/SDI with a Leeza purchase. The connections on the unit are BNC, so you would have to get an adapter or new cables if your current set are RCA or S-Video. Considering the issue of 60hz with the NRS and the 503, this might be the one for you since you can change the frequency to 72Hz

I own a Leeza, and I'm really happy with its performance with DVDs and Sat sources. It's quite simple to hook-up and use, the firmware is really easy to upgrade through the RS232 port, and customer support is outstanding.

Just try before you buy.

·
Registered
121 Posts
I have a Leeza and am very pleased with it. As previously stated the support is extremely good. Just yesterday, I sent the video card in for the DVI Blaster upgrade. They will do the upgrade with a quick turn around so that I will have it back tomorrow. The warrenty is also quite long--two years.

The free RP56 modified for a SDI output produces really magnificant video. The SDI connection is a real improvement and the RP56 does not have the choma bug.

I know both Mike Tsinberg and Mike Lakhter. They really do have their customers best interests at heart. I think future upgrade support will be outstanding.

As mentioned, with all your sources, you will need additional video switching. But that would be true with any scaler that I know of.

I presonally think you would be very happy with a Leeza.

·
Registered
674 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I don't have HD yet so the 5% would come out of the 95% of the Tivo watching that I do. ;)

Can an HTPC do everything the Leeza does? Where could I try something like the Leeza out?

·
Registered
2,814 Posts
llogan:

I definitely concur with zxe018, try before you buy. As you know from some other threads, there is a problem using a Faroudja NRS with a Pioneer. My mistake was buying both at the same time. I didn't evaluate the plasma on its own and think it's possible I wouldn't have bothered with a scaler. IMO, the 503CMX does a reasonable job of scaling and deinterlacing without a scaler. You do need the PDA5002 video card, of course.

·
Registered
121 Posts
To see a Leeza, you could go to the Key Digital web site, www.keydigital.com. Select the item on the left called "Locate a Rep". If you are near one, you can probably arrange to see the Leeza there. If you post you location, there might also be a Leeza owner near you that would be willing to let you see theirs.

·
Registered
674 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I'm in the Northern Virginia area but would gladly go anywhere in DC or in the Baltimore/DC corridor in Maryland to check it out.

As for relying on the 503 cmx's processor, I'm very concerned about it's ability to clean up what's coming out of my Tivos, which is not to say that a Faroudja or Leeza or whatever else out there might really pull it off either.

And I'm trying to make the decision about which processor route to go to potentially take the $400 I'd spend on the pio's card and put it towards the processor.

·
Registered
674 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Dell is, haven't really been able to tell anywhere else I've gone whether it's included or not...

·
Registered
674 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
well just called the local 'rep' for Leeza in McLean, turns out they're a distributor and they don't have a showroom of any kind. So much for seeing it in action.

·
Registered
3,029 Posts
I don't understand. The Pioneer is $9K, the Leeza is $5K plus, and you're quibbling about a $400 to $500 video card -- which believe me you want if only for resale (there are many other good reasons, too, like an HD receiver's output that may not sync to the Pioneers PC input, but will when the HD receiver's component outs are used instead to the video card's component input).

Just buy the Pioneer with the card and see if you're satisfied with its internal scaler. I am, and so are many others. Then you can take your time deciding on a scaler like the Leeza or an HTPC (with all of your sources, the Leeza seems like the obvious choice over an HTPC).

Good luck.

·
Registered
674 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
How do you think it's possible that I can afford such equipment (hint: by being frugal and only buying stuff that I need). Hell, the only reason I wound up with so many Tivos is that I was able to sell my standalone and use the proceeds. Now you make what I can only presume are good points (since I don't have HD and am definitely at the low end of the learning curve on all of this stuff). Resale? Once I buy a piece of electronics, it's in my home forever pretty much until it dies.

I am interested in your comment about the number of sources that I have, is there necessarily a limitation on how many devices you can input to an HTPC?

Quote:
Originally posted by PF
I don't understand. The Pioneer is $9K, the Leeza is $5K plus, and you're quibbling about a $400 to $500 video card -- which believe me you want if only for resale (there are many other good reasons, too, like an HD receiver's output that may not sync to the Pioneers PC input, but will when the HD receiver's component outs are used instead to the video card's component input).

Just buy the Pioneer with the card and see if you're satisfied with its internal scaler. I am, and so are many others. Then you can take your time deciding on a scaler like the Leeza or an HTPC (with all of your sources, the Leeza seems like the obvious choice over an HTPC).

Good luck.

·
Registered
2,379 Posts
"is there necessarily a limitiation on how many devices you can input to an HTPC?"

No. I have had 4 SDI input cards lined up in one machine before (4 SDI inputs, 4 s-video inputs, 12 composite inputs). Works like a charm. The HTPC handles some sources better than others, though. For instance, it doesn't handle analog component or HD source (you would just bypass the HTPC).

·
Registered
3,029 Posts
Interesting. I did not know an HTPC could handle so many s-video sources. But if the SDI input cards each have one s-video input; and I count 5 s-video sources in llogan's system; and furthermore, the SDI cards cost $499 each, we're talking serious money for this HTPC.

Of course, I know absolutely nothing about this HTPC subject, so perhaps I've misunderstood about the s-video inputs and the SDI cards and there's a cheaper way after all.

·
Registered
2,379 Posts
"and I count 5 s-video sources in llogan's system; and furthermore, the SDI cards cost $499 each, we're talking serious money for this HTPC."

Granted. About $2k for the HTPC (2 SDI cards, 2 non-SDI cards). Re the #s of connections, I count 4 s-video sources. His 225 hour unit would be modded for SDI. Adding a modded RP56 would give him 2 SDI sources.

·
Registered
2,379 Posts
Yep. $3,300 for a very nice setup. Digital end-to-end, if he would like. What is your alternative?

1 - 20 of 35 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.