AVS Forum banner

741 - 760 of 861 Posts

·
ABSOLUTE ULTIMATE AV
5,199 Posts
Discussion Starter #741
DarbeeVision and Pixelgen Announce...

New Pixelgen Products Powered by 4K DARBEE Visual Presence™VideoProcessing and Intel FPGAs

Pixelgen Design has partnered with DarbeeVision, developer of acclaimed video processing technology DARBEE Visual Presence (DVP™), to develop the industry’s first standalone 4Kvideo processing solution with embedded 4K DVP technology utilizing Intel FPGAs.

Canada-based Pixelgen will launch PXLVISION™ with a MSRP of $499USD in early 2021. It will be the first of many 4K DVP-enabled products to be powered by Intel FPGAs. Pixelgen will produce the PXLVISION 4K video processing solution as a follow-up to the acclaimed 1080p DVP standalone offerings. The new partnership will leverage Pixelgen's expertise in creating ground-up, world-class video solutions.

Pixelgen's existing product line shows a deep commitment to the most advanced technologies including high performing Intel FPGAs which enable high quality and real time video processing required by the DVP processing technology. The PXLVISION product will carry the “powered by DARBEE” mark and continue in the tradition of providing uncompromising experience to the user. Global distribution will roll out through Pixelgen’s distributor and reseller network.

"We were looking for a partner with great strength in HDMI video circuit design and manufacturing, with very exacting and ultra-high standards. These new 4K DVP enabled video processing solutions are going to provide stunning results. The build quality will satisfy even the most discerning home theater expert user," said DarbeeVision President Larry Pace. “And, these new Pixelgen products will provide the end users with the pinnacle of image depth, clarity, and realism for ALL consumer video source and display applications. The industry has been relentlessly increasing image quality factors like pixel resolution, color depth, dynamic backlighting, and nits, which are all welcome. These new Pixelgen 4K DVP-enabled products will be compatible and complementary to all the wonderful advancements to image processing and display fidelity. Prepare to be stunned by the image quality and realism. We are excited about the visual appeal that PXLVISION offers versus other solutions."

“In the past, Pixelgen has been an interconnect manufacturer, specializing in 100% uncompressed Ultra HD signal transmission methods—for example, PXLDRIVE™ and PXLGLASS™” said Jack MacDougall, Pixelgen CEO. “With the development of PXLVISION, we are finally able to introduce a Pixelgen video enhancement solution that can use these unscathed pixels in some truly impactful and beautiful ways. The effect is like removing a protective film from the 4K display—pure satisfaction. There is an immersive sense of space in the image provided, and amazing clarity and detail that comes without disturbing the content. Moving forward with Pixelgen 4K/UHD DVP-enabled processing solutions, endusers can expect intuitive control, mobile device connectivity, and a smart/sleek design. We are proud to have been selected to build these next generation 4K DVP-based products under the Pixelgen name and we are committed to honoring Paul Darbee’s discovery, inventions andvision.”

“Intel FPGAs, with a mixture of modular video interfaces and high performing flexible fabric, are ideal for enabling innovative real time 4Kvideo processing appliances,” said Rina Raman, Vice President, Data Platforms Group and General Manager, Embedded Acceleration at Intel.

Additional details about product specifications, applications, and sales channels will be published soon. A full-length article about the new PXLVISION 4K DVP enabled video processor will also appear in an upcoming edition of Wide Screen Review.

For more product launch information, visit the Pixelgen Design and DarbeeVision websites or follow the companies on social media.

Media and Inquiries, please contact: PixelgenDesign – Jack MacDougall, President & CEO, [email protected]

Pixelgen Design Inc. is headquartered in Burlington, Ontario, Canada. Pixelgenis an engineering-first organization that organically designs and manufactures professional uncompressed 4K connectivity products. Quickly growing a reputation as the leaders in uncompressed long reach 4K connectivity, Pixelgen ensures that every pixel isdelivered faithfully as it was intended to be viewed. Pixelgen sincerely wants to help the industry and remove the standards compatibility stigma once and for all, to support every home theatre setup where there should be no compromise, thus no compression. For information, call (289) 812-4279, or email [email protected] or visit PixelgenDesign.com. All Pixelgen Design patents, trademarks, copyrights, and licensing are the property of Pixelgen Design Inc.

DarbeeVision –Larry Pace, President, [email protected]

DarbeeVision, Inc. is headquartered in Orange, California. The company develops proprietary image processing technology and embeddable solutions that bring revolutionary, fidelity-independent,levels of depth, clarity,and realism to all products in the digital image and video markets. DARBEE Visual Presence(DVP) technology creates digital image and video quality that is better than whateven what the most perfect cameras and displays can achieve --much better in fact. By using real time computation to process each frame, DVP embeds 3D depth cues into 2D imagesand video, so thateach resulting sceneappearsultra-realistic. DVP technology is available to OEMs as Intel FPGA chipsets, and IP for licensing. DVP is also available for post-production use, as a cloud-based image and video processing platform. For information, call (714) 787-1006, email [email protected] or visit DarbeeVision.com. All DarbeeVision patents, trademarks, copyrights, and licensing are the property of DarbeeVision, Inc

Attachments

·
ABSOLUTE ULTIMATE AV
5,199 Posts
Discussion Starter #742
LoL - even worse. A lot of people have the Dark theme enabled now on AVS, which means you can't really specify text colours any more as they'll be unreadable for some proportion of readers...
Arrrghh... In which case here's a post ^^^ specifically for those who have succumbed to the Dark Side of the Force... Whoops sorry I mean the Dark theme enabled... and to make this totally bullet proof I have also attached the press release PDF. Now hopefully everyone will be happy!!! 😆 🤣

·
Registered
1,989 Posts
I've posted a question for Jim Peterson on the Radiance Pro thread, asking whether or not Lumagen (an OEM partner of Darbee) will be able to offer this upgraded feature once it's available. No response yet.

Reactions: woofer

·
Registered
767 Posts
I've posted a question for Jim Peterson on the Radiance Pro thread, asking whether or not Lumagen (an OEM partner of Darbee) will be able to offer this upgraded feature once it's available. No response yet.
as I read Jim on vacation right now so I think he will not answer in his rest days “that’s the reason i think) and batter u send an email to lumagen batter way to get answers

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,989 Posts
as I read Jim on vacation right now so I think he will not answer in his rest days “that’s the reason i think) and batter u send an email to lumagen batter way to get answers

Thanks for that info. There's absolutely no rush concerning his response since the stand alone device is still a ways out. I'd wager that he'll eventually read & respond to any posts, as appropriate.

Reactions: A7mad78

·
Premium Member
11,594 Posts
Not Jim but I'm 99.9999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999% sure it will not be offered.

·
Registered
1,989 Posts
Not Jim but I'm 99.9999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999% sure it will not be offered.
I honestly find that to be surprising, Kris. If Darby Processing currently resides on the Radiance Pro FPGA, what would stop it (physically) from being reassigned with the updated programming? Is it that your inclination is that Pixel Design considers Lumagen a competitor and, therefore, against its business model to allow that upgrade? I know that the particulars haven't yet been provided, but (if the Darbee processing for UHD actually is shown to be beneficial) do you think that it could be placed in the video chain, between the Radiance Pro and the display, if the Lumagen is unable to acquire that capability?

Reactions: woofer

·
Premium Member
11,594 Posts
I honestly find that to be surprising, Kris. If Darby Processing currently resides on the Radiance Pro FPGA, what would stop it (physically) from being reassigned with the updated programming? Is it that your inclination is that Pixel Design considers Lumagen a competitor and, therefore, against its business model to allow that upgrade? I know that the particulars haven't yet been provided, but (if the Darbee processing for UHD actually is shown to be beneficial) do you think that it could be placed in the video chain, between the Radiance Pro and the display, if the Lumagen is unable to acquire that capability?
Couple reasons honestly, but the main is that you are making the assumption that the code for the 4K Darbee is identical in its technical size and application as the previous and therefore could just be a simple swap. Odds are that this is nowhere near the reality and that the FPGA memory requirements would be substantial and not something that the Lumagen would have the spare space for (2K Darbee is already a huge memory hog) and still provide the current capabilities and things that are already in the works for future improvements.

IF Lumagen was going to add something like this to its product line, it would likely be in a future Lumagen device that has a completely different hardware build, and I'm not aware of any plans for that in the works (but I don't work for Lumagen so obviously Jim can chime in on that).

·
Registered
34 Posts
first, i would eliminate non-HD modes in darbee usage. A nice memory saver? Let's hope! It would be great to have darbee 4K, even paying for the upgrade!

·
Registered
1,989 Posts
Couple reasons honestly, but the main is that you are making the assumption that the code for the 4K Darbee is identical in its technical size and application as the previous and therefore could just be a simple swap. Odds are that this is nowhere near the reality and that the FPGA memory requirements would be substantial and not something that the Lumagen would have the spare space for (2K Darbee is already a huge memory hog) and still provide the current capabilities and things that are already in the works for future improvements.

IF Lumagen was going to add something like this to its product line, it would likely be in a future Lumagen device that has a completely different hardware build, and I'm not aware of any plans for that in the works (but I don't work for Lumagen so obviously Jim can chime in on that).
Kris, that's why I asked whether the upgrade could be physically accomplished (given the current FPGA allocation). What about my second question: would you foresee any issues with positioning the piece after the Lumagen in the video chain?

·
Registered
722 Posts
Kris, that's why I asked whether the upgrade could be physically accomplished (given the current FPGA allocation). What about my second question: would you foresee any issues with positioning the piece after the Lumagen in the video chain?
The Darbee 4K processing sounds interesting. I’ve had 1080p Darbee in the past. Was nice but really just a band-aid to what you want in clarity. Too much artificial (added) processing in my mind.

I think that Darbee was just a (fix) for lack of 1080p being 4K like in clarity. But was quite a show stopper historically. It did add sharpness and a little bit more, albeit some what contrived.

So would I embrace Darbee 4K… Probably not… Unless they have something that looks a lot better than native 4K. Can Darbee do 8K simulated?

·
Registered
JVC RS4500 | ST130 G4 135" | MRX 720 | MC303 MC152 | 6.1.4: B&W 802D3, 805D3, 702S2 | 4x15 IB Subs
9,295 Posts

·
Registered
JVC RS4500 | ST130 G4 135" | MRX 720 | MC303 MC152 | 6.1.4: B&W 802D3, 805D3, 702S2 | 4x15 IB Subs
9,295 Posts
The Darbee 4K processing sounds good.. But I’ve had 1080p Darbee in the past. Really nice but just a band-aid to what you really want in clarity. Too much artificial (added) processing in my mind. But I did like it before 4K.

I think that Darbee was just a (fix) for lack of 1080p being 4K like in clarity. And was quite a show stopper historically. It did add sharpness and a little bit more, albeit some what contrived.

So would I embrace Darbee now… No, I’ve moved on… They would need to prove me wrong. Unless they have something better than native 4K. Can Darbee do 8K simulated?
Man Darbee effect on 1080p was so blown out and fake looking. I think I tried it for a few minutes and boxed it back up.

·
Registered
18,783 Posts
The Darbee 4K processing sounds good.. But I’ve had 1080p Darbee in the past. Really nice but just a band-aid to what you really want in clarity. Too much artificial (added) processing in my mind. But I did like it before 4K.

I think that Darbee was just a (fix) for lack of 1080p being 4K like in clarity. And was quite a show stopper historically. It did add sharpness and a little bit more, albeit some what contrived.

So would I embrace Darbee now… No, I’ve moved on… They would need to prove me wrong. Unless they have something better than native 4K. Can Darbee do 8K simulated?
Ya, I turned it off in my Lumagen. I find the picture looks a little cleaner without it when using any sharpening.

·
Registered
1,989 Posts
Ya, I turned it off in my Lumagen. I find the picture looks a little cleaner without it when using any sharpening. Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I believe that the point is that Darbee Processing is NOT meant to be compared to a sharpening feature. It supposedly provides increased perceived image depth by extracting/processing 2D pixel information. According to the DarbeeVision website: "Driven by the need for image differentiation, demand for real time image enhancement is growing. Current image enhancement solutions do not provide significant differentiation and the most advanced technologies are not optimized for real time or practical application. DarbeeVision has developed a proprietary technology, Darbee Visual Presence, which brings a revolutionary and never-before-seen level of depth and realism to 2D images. By integrating Darbee Visual Presence into existing digital image media devices, pictures can be made better than what even the most perfect camera and display can achieve—much better in fact, by using computation to process an image in the same way the brain does."

Whether you like/appreciate the finished product is a matter of personal taste. For anyone interested, here's a link to the more detailed white paper:

·
ABSOLUTE ULTIMATE AV
5,199 Posts
Discussion Starter #757

@bobof posted examples of what the new 4K Darbee will look like... judge for yourself... personally my reaction to this is 'eeesh' and I won't be using it: 😉
There are some sample images on the DarbeeVision webpage here of their UHD algo in action:

·
Registered
18,783 Posts
I believe that the point is that Darbee Processing is NOT meant to be compared to a sharpening feature. It supposedly provides increased perceived image depth by extracting/processing 2D pixel information. According to the DarbeeVision website: "Driven by the need for image differentiation, demand for real time image enhancement is growing. Current image enhancement solutions do not provide significant differentiation and the most advanced technologies are not optimized for real time or practical application. DarbeeVision has developed a proprietary technology, Darbee Visual Presence, which brings a revolutionary and never-before-seen level of depth and realism to 2D images. By integrating Darbee Visual Presence into existing digital image media devices, pictures can be made better than what even the most perfect camera and display can achieve—much better in fact, by using computation to process an image in the same way the brain does."

Whether you like/appreciate the finished product is a matter of personal taste. For anyone interested, here's a link to the more detailed white paper:

I had a Darbee way back when they first came out - when I had my Sim Lumis. So I'm aware of what they do. I liked it at the time when used in moderation, but these days, with a 4K projector, I prefer to take a " less is more " approach. But I know some people do like it, so enjoy.

·
Premium Member
11,594 Posts
Darbee is not meant to be a sharpening tool, it is designed as a local contrast enhancer. The problem with it is that more often than not the default settings are WAY too high. If used very judiciously, it wasn't too bad. I would recommend using the HD mode and never setting it over 30. Once you go past 30, the image will start to look over processed pretty quickly. Whenever I use it, I have mine set at about 20, but I rarely use it.

·
Registered
1,989 Posts
Darbee is not meant to be a sharpening tool, it is designed as a local contrast enhancer. The problem with it is that more often than not the default settings are WAY too high. If used very judiciously, it wasn't too bad. I would recommend using the HD mode and never setting it over 30. Once you go past 30, the image will start to look over processed pretty quickly. Whenever I use it, I have mine set at about 20, but I rarely use it.
Kris, I previously asked your opinion as to whether you would foresee any problems with positioning the upcoming Darbee Vision unit AFTER the Lumagen. Your thoughts, please?

Reactions: ARROW-AV
741 - 760 of 861 Posts