AVS Forum banner

941 - 954 of 954 Posts

·
Registered
264 Posts
I am by no means an expert but want to weigh in with my thoughts on this topic. I have a JVC-RS2000 projector and have owned a Lumagen Pro for approx. 2 years (prior to that I owned a Lumagen 2144). I have kept things updated and followed the massive improvements that Lumagen has made over the last year both in upscaling and DTM. Prior to the Lumagen I used my Oppo UDP-203 to do tonemapping. My projector is calibrated using the JVC auto cal with both a Spyder 5 and X-Rite I1 Pro. All of this is only my personal opinions on this subject.

I recently setup MadVR HTPC and have tested with old Radeon HD7970, GTX 1080ti, and RTX 3090.

Upscaling PQ
From a pure picture quality standpoint I think MadVR has the edge in quality for 1080p -> 2160p upscaling. I use NGU Sharp Very High for image and NGU AA High for chroma. I would say that MadVR easily beat the Lumagen pre-sharp firmware but currently it is very close though I still give MadVR the slight nod in this department. I also really like that MadVR has so many options so you can adjust the type of scaling to your personal preferences and also have full control over how different resolutions are handled. The sheer amount of options and learning curve are actually probably a negative for a lot of users but for me I enjoyed the research and testing that got me to my current setup. To me 1080p -> 2160p on Lumagen looks like really high quality upscaling while the same on MadVR HTPC looks like native 4k.

Winner: MadVR HTPC

DTM PQ
I am using MadVR test build 114 currently with chroma set to NGU Sharp High for 2160p HDR content. I am going to say for my eyes this is too close to call. Bear in mind my perspective is more of the average user who wants to pop in a film and have it look really good while not stressing over what color the 5 second fire explosion was. IMO HDR really has no defined standard anyway so the goal should be to make it look as good as possible within the constraints of your calibrated display. I think both MadVR (HDR settings tweaked to my 120nit display with options set to my liking) and Lumagen do a spectacular job with DTM and I could honestly be happy with either. I have also tested the JVC DTM w/ theater optimizer which I find acceptable but a clear step down from both MadVR and Lumagen.

Winner: Tie

Useability
Clearly the Lumagen runs circles around an HTPC as far as ease of use, once setup all you do is plug in any source and it just works. Now my current MadVR setup is incredibly easy to use but took a LONG time to get right. I have Kodi 17.7 DSPlayer x64 BETTERGUI007 working with current Lav Filters and it is all very smooth and effortless once I have ripped whatever film I want to watch to my hard drive. I can simply play a disc using MPC HE but then have to exit Kodi first (I have not figured out how to play a disc from Kodi using MadVR, it might be possible). Also with the Lumagen out of my chain I have to rely on JVC DTM for things like Netflix from my Xbox One since my HTPC lacks an HDMI in. Most of what I watch are discs I own anyway so this isn't a big deal for me but for the average user the ability to use Lumagen with ANY source is a big win for them vs. HTPC.

Winner: Lumagen

Cost
So if comparing MadVR HTPC to Lumagen Pro obviously HTPC is considerably cheaper but the average user is giving up a lot (ability to control all sources) for that savings. I had issues trying to purchase a MadVR Envy so I have not been able to comment on the quality or useabilty of it but I can comment on the cost. I personally don't understand why anyone would spend money on the Envy vs Lumagen given that a Lumagen with similar in / out options appears to be considerably cheaper than an Envy. I can also click on "buy" and purchase a Lumagen any time I want to and I find the MadVR system of fill out this form and hope a dealer contacts you completely ridiculous. I understand that JVC similarly does not allow online sales but I had no issue whatsoever contacting multiple JVC dealers willing to sell me a projector when I was shopping. If MadVR has any chance of being serious competition to a company like Lumagen they need to get on the ball and start selling product to people who want to buy and are capable of setting up without an integrator.

Winner if DIY: MadVR
Winner if you want plug and play: Lumagen

Conclusion
If I were in the market to buy a video processor (not an HTPC with free MadVR) I can't come up with any logical reason why I would not choose Lumagen at this point in time. For me personally though I am going to stick with MadVR HTPC since I think in my system the overall quality is better and I am willing to give up ease of use for even a slight quality increase.

·
Registered
940 Posts
Upscaling PQ
From a pure picture quality standpoint I think MadVR has the edge in quality for 1080p -> 2160p upscaling. I use NGU Sharp Very High for image and NGU AA High for chroma. I would say that MadVR easily beat the Lumagen pre-sharp firmware but currently it is very close though I still give MadVR the slight nod in this department. I also really like that MadVR has so many options so you can adjust the type of scaling to your personal preferences and also have full control over how different resolutions are handled. The sheer amount of options and learning curve are actually probably a negative for a lot of users but for me I enjoyed the research and testing that got me to my current setup. To me 1080p -> 2160p on Lumagen looks like really high quality upscaling while the same on MadVR HTPC looks like native 4k.
Thank-you for your comments. I currently don't use Lumagen upscaling 1080p24 and this question has been on my mind for a bit. I have a Sony but even then I would be interested in how much better you believe upscaling is compared to what your JVC does on its own. Nothing scientific here I know but going from projector to Lumagen to MadVR how would you compare the three? Easily noticed and welcome, have to look for it, etc. BTW, what size screen do you have and how far back are you?

·
Registered
264 Posts
Thank-you for your comments. I currently don't use Lumagen upscaling 1080p24 and this question has been on my mind for a bit. I have a Sony but even then I would be interested in how much better you believe upscaling is compared to what your JVC does on its own. Nothing scientific here I know but going from projector to Lumagen to MadVR how would you compare the three? Easily noticed and welcome, have to look for it, etc.
Never actually used JVC for upscaling, I have always had Lumagen before projector.

·
Registered
JVC RS4500 | ST130 G4 135" | MRX 720 | MC303 MC152 | 6.1.4: B&W 802D3, 805D3, 702S2 | 4x15 IB Subs
9,563 Posts
Thank-you for your comments. I currently don't use Lumagen upscaling 1080p24 and this question has been on my mind for a bit. I have a Sony but even then I would be interested in how much better you believe upscaling is compared to what your JVC does on its own. Nothing scientific here I know but going from projector to Lumagen to MadVR how would you compare the three? Easily noticed and welcome, have to look for it, etc. BTW, what size screen do you have and how far back are you?
The Sony & JVC are terrible at upscaling.

·
aka jfinnie
4,867 Posts
The Sony & JVC are terrible at upscaling.
I find it interesting that this is a common theme, yet at the same time a lot of folk say there is no discernible issue when using the built-in scaling to go from 3840 to 4096 pixels active pixels to use the whole panel width.

·
Registered
JVC RS4500 | ST130 G4 135" | MRX 720 | MC303 MC152 | 6.1.4: B&W 802D3, 805D3, 702S2 | 4x15 IB Subs
9,563 Posts
I find it interesting that this is a common theme, yet at the same time a lot of folk say there is no discernible issue when using the built-in scaling to go from 3840 to 4096 pixels active pixels to use the whole panel width.
Yea, cause that's a non-significant change. I'd say the Sony & JVC are fine at scaling. They can take an input signal and display it. If you feed in a 720p signal, what you see on your screen is typical of what 720p looks like. While technically that's upscaling, I'd just call it scaling. MadVR, on the other hand, will take 720p signal and output something that looks a lot more like the native output of your panels than the input 720p. That's upscaling. To that end, Sony & JVC are terrible upscalers.

·
Registered
1,066 Posts
Any comparison in terms of the edge enhancement algorithms (sharpness) whilst keeping noise at bay?

Essentially, and in my opinion, this should work hand in hand with local contrast enhancement to really give it that cutting-edge performance.

·
Premium Member
375 Posts
So are you going to sell your Lumagen?

941 - 954 of 954 Posts