AVS Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,440 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Although very expensive, I was wondering if a VP with a CMS would work as well with a plasma TV as with most projectors. In my setup I will eventually have a projector, so I wonder if I use a VP with CMS for the projector, can I also improve things on a Panasonic plasma such as the dimness of the ST30 or the poor gamma of the GT30?

·
Registered
114 Posts
I use an iScan Duo with my '08 Samsung plasma, and I'm not exaggerating when I say it would have been impossible to achieve the calibration I was aiming for without the Duo's CMS. My display suffers from greyscale pollution on the lower end of the scale, along with an uneven gamma control (moving it to -3 gives me a gamma of only 1.87 at 10% gray, resulting in a rapid rise out of black and weaker overall perceived contrast ). With the Duo I was finally able to fix these deficiancies. My display has a CMS, but not as fine of a control.

With the Duo, you can have CMS settings for each output, so you can feed it into both of your displays with their own unique settings. The Lumagen's are also teriffic processors. Not sure what you mean by dimness, can you please clarify?

Posted via Kindle, apologize for writing laconic.

·
Premium Member
7,440 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The iScan Duo is pretty much what I had in mind. I can't afford a Lumagen. Although a Video EQ Pro is another option, but I don't think it has multiple profiles etc. Also the Duo has the ability to send my older receiver the sound and the video to the display.

I am just re-iterating the issues that are being reported from some reviews. CNET says the ST30 calibrates well with good gamma, colour etc. but it's dimmer than what they would like. Using another preset would give brighter picture but worse gamma and colour. I guess it depends on how much worse.

I would be willing to use an iScan Duo with an ST30 instead of trying to get a GT or VT...since their CMS's and the resulting calibrations don't seem to be a whole lot better overall when you consider the cost of the displays. Plus like I said, a Duo and possibly a Video EQ can be used for one than one display.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.