AVS Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

Recently I had a bunch of guys over and I got taken to school playing Halo. We had a few tv's hooked up and different Xbox's. I currently have a Vizio E601i-A3, Denon AVR 2113. We plugged the Xbox into the front HDMI port and played most of the night like this. Well after sitting back eventually I noticed a 10 year old Vizio looked much better. Turns out, not only does the games have a nice lag to them when run through the receiver (the tv I played on all night) but the picture quality is much worse as well. The image looked less detailed and colors were washed out. I then tested and confirmed that this happened with any device that was plugged into the 2113's hdmi ports and was output to the tv via the hdmi out.

For the last couple of days I've ran the system with the devices (Roku & Blu Ray player) plugged directly into the tv, which gives me a normal picture, and used the optical output to send the signal to the receiver. Determined to use the HD Audio capabilities of hdmi, I put it all back last night to the standard device>receiver>tv method and I tried looking at different settings on the receiver (image processing/scaling etc..) to see if I could clear it up. So, I ask you, do the hdmi components on receivers just suck these days, or am I missing some setting somewhere? Anything I should look for?

·
Premium Member
91,764 Posts
In many instances, the TV or source itself will do a better job then the video chip in an AVR which is why it's generally best just to set the "i/p Scaler" setting on the AVR to OFF and simply let the video pass through. Also, to mitigate any lag playing games, you can change the "Video Mode" setting for that source to "GAME" instead of the default of "Auto".

For more helpful information on your 2113, there is a dedicated thread for the 2012 Denon XX13 AVRs linked below ....

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1409431/the-official-denon-avr-xx13-model-owners-thread-faq/0_100#post_21995255

·
Registered
319 Posts
Wow, did not realize that!

Will have to by pass on my 2113CI too! Have it hooked up to a 2011 flagship Sammy Plasma.

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdsmoothie  /t/1522517/video-quality-with-denon-avr-2113#post_24484804

In many instances, the TV or source itself will do a better job then the video chip in an AVR which is why it's generally best just to set the "i/p Scaler" setting on the AVR to OFF and simply let the video pass through. Also, to mitigate any lag playing games, you can change the "Video Mode" setting for that source to "GAME" instead of the default of "Auto".

For more helpful information on your 2113, there is a dedicated thread for the 2012 Denon XX13 AVRs linked below ....

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1409431/the-official-denon-avr-xx13-model-owners-thread-faq/0_100#post_21995255
Thanks for the response. Fortunately this seems to be a fluke thing. I had tried that particular setting after seeing your post. I remember setting this to off from day 1 when setting up the receiver. It was still off when I went and checked it. I reset everything and set the receiver up from scratch. Problem solved. Not sure what it was. I've done tests swapping between inputs while comparing to another tv and the picture quality seems up to par now.

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I lied. The Denon just seems to be horrible with video. I find it hard to believe something that was rated so well fails to do the basics. I went messing with it again tonight at it is still greatly degrading the image. Image scaler on/off doesn't make a difference.

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

So, the only thing I can figure that would be causing this is some sort of video processing through the receiver. Is there a way to completely turn that off, the above suggestions don't do a thing? I'm running the latest firmware for the 2113. Would my only "fix" for this issue to be to run the devices into the tv and just output to the receiver? Would I be able to use the ARC for this as the optical out is cutting down the sound options? Thanks for the help.

I'm to the point of just looking for another receiver, maybe something by Marantz.

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

Thanks jdsmoothie. I've tried that. Now, my understanding is that, if I run the sound back out of the tv via optical I will be missing out on the HD/Lossless audio of BluRays, correct?

Also, just possibly grasping at straws here, but would "** Defective AVR?  Reset the microprocessor a few times." make any sort of difference?

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

JDS, if you can in any way confirm that the x2000 (or anything ~equal) doesn't have this issue, you may sell yourself another receiver very soon.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts