Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys,

I really didn't know where to post this, this forum needs a Misc section ;)

A very close friend of mine told me about this forums a few days ago and I find this as the first opportunity to post here.

I don't own a home cinema like most people here do (im just a poor student) to start with. I run a website a website for a few months now and just a few days ago I started a project some of you may be interested in.

The project is related with Video quality assesment with both subjective and objective perspectives. I am implementing the objective side myself and I am gathering as many people as I can for the subjective part (blind test).

I hope this will not feel like advertising, it has nothing to do with it.

If you wish to participate, you can visit http://www.everwicked.com/form/ and complete the form.

The information required there is mainly for bandwidth constraints. Also it will help me provide clear instructions later on.

Video freaks, gods an normal human beings are all welcome ;)

Don't hesitate to post any questions here.

Thanks

·
AVS Forum Special Member
11,139 Posts
Welcome to the forums. A suggestion: Use the edit mode and insert a 'graph or so that explains why you're doing this, generally what info you want from those responding, and how the survey works. It's a bit vague, IMO. -- John

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the welcoming :)

I don't have much time to make up a graph but here a more detailed explanation of what will happen.

The test will be conducted blindly in a web based environment under very specific instructions. All users will have to download a few video clips and then fill in some queries.

I haven't determined the size of the data to download yet and that will play the first role in choosing the actual participants.

If I get more than 200 or so applications I will try to distribute the applicants by location just to make it fair I guess. Yet again the bandwidth needed will play a key role on how many applicants will be approved to take the test.

The purpose of this is to have a Video quality aproach of recent video codecs since people keep fighting about it.

Ofcourse the test will not determine the ultimate codec to encode your videos but it will give enough information to know which codec performs better in which cases. This part of course will be done by myself, there will be a strict analysis of each one of them. The subjective part will give a rough idea of what people think on video quality.

I forgot to mention that the test will be conducted with a number of video sequences and not just one clip which may favour one codec.

Any better? :cool:

·
AVS Forum Special Member
11,139 Posts
Thanks for the details. If you haven't already, you might locate other testers by using a search at http://groups.google.com/ with various search terms. That will list some Usenet groups that cover this area. There are many. Also, signing up for newsgroups will list thousands of areas, some very graphics/video/computer-specific, depending on your ISP. If your ISP is weak in newsgroups, it's possible to subscribe to 'super' newsgroup sources.

Also, if response is weak here, you might repost in the HTPC forum, which seems closer to your topic. -- John

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks about that.

I will definitely try Usenet when I go back home from Spain :)

Could you please redirect me to HTPC?

Thanks

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.