AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First I would like to apologize if this question has already been asked, which it probably has. I did a search and didn't find a thread to this specific question, just bits and pieces. Now on to my question...

I am purchasing a ReplayTV 50160, pre-ordered on Amazon, and this will be my first foray into the PVR revolution. One of my main reasons for choosing ReplayTV is the broadband option because I have no phone line in my room, or anywhere nearby. But I'm curious as to whether there is much of a difference in video quality compared to Tivo.

I've seen a few hints that the ReplayTV's high quality video is not as good as Tivo's medium quality, which concerns me. So if anybody knows how much of a difference there is between recording qualities I would be much obliged.

Thanks for responding, I appreciate it.

--Lakanta

·
Registered
249 Posts
I have a ReplayTV 3060, 4504, and a Philips Tivo standalone. In my opinion, the 3060 medium (2/3) equals the Tivo high (3/4). But the 4504 medium is worse and I have to record at high to meet expectations. I'd appreciate knowing the explanation if anyone can pass it on (such as a new type of encoder or something?).

·
Registered
2,584 Posts
First, note that the PQ on the 4xxx and the 5xxx are totally different. A lot of people have complained about the PQ on the 4xxx but people have not been complaining about the PQ on the 5xxx. I think that if you've got a good signal either one is fine -- I've got a 4xxx and it seems fine to me on my 50" plasma monitor; but I gather that with a bad signal things deteriorate a lot more with a 4xxx then a 5xxx.

As for the PQ of a 5xxx vs. a Tivo, I think the solid consensus among people that have both a standalone Tivo and a 5xxx is that the PQ of the 5xxx is significantly better. There are many threads with posts saying this, such as http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...ty#post1589854 .

Note that I don't have a Tivo so I do not have a view on this one way or another.

Finally, note that if you have directtv, there is a clear consensus that the PQ of directtivo is better than the PQ for any replay or standalone Tivo.

·
Registered
6,207 Posts
Frankly, I think that with electronics (unfortunately) every unit is different from the other. Five Tivo's will produce 5 different PQ's. Same with 5 TV's, 5 VCRs, 5 projectors, etc. Beyond that, there's so much subjectivity with this stuff, that I might compare every available unit and make absolutely opposite conclusions than you, comparing the same units. Same with audio. It's all so "grey", there's rarely consensus.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the info. Now all I have to worry about is where to put the unit, since I'm pretty much out of space, but that's my problem.

--Lakanta

·
Registered
1,093 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by lakanta
Thanks for the info. Now all I have to worry about is where to put the unit, since I'm pretty much out of space, but that's my problem.
mine, too. don't know where to put my replayTV. :confused:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.