AVS Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently purchased a HTPC and I'm having trouble with the dual output. The case has a touchscreen so that uses an output, the other is connected to my plasma via DVI>HDMI. I originally had the HTPC connected to the plasma via DVI>VGA but the plasma's VGA only accepts a max resolution of 1280x768, but I wanted the 1080 resolution available with the HDMI input.

My questions for now though are...

1. I set the display resolution on my plasma to 1080, but the text isn't smooth at all and half/most of the bottom toolbar goes off the screen. the next lowest resolution where everything fits and is clear is 1280x768. Is it possible to improve the quality of what i'm seeing at 1080?

2. I read something about making separate profiles for dual monitors, what would be a good app? I use the plasma as my primary display but when listening to music I want to use the touchscreen. I wish I could simply swap the primary/secondary display setting via windows but the touchscreen only accepts 800x600 resolution.

Specs

Plasma: Pioneer Kuro 60" PDP-6010FD

Case: Moneual LAB Black / Silver Aluminum MonCaso 932T ATX

Video card: XFX 8800 GT XXX Alpha Dog Edition

Thanks in advance, any thoughts are appreciated. Last thing I want to do is mess up either display, especially the TV.

·
Registered
2,594 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by acidrock69 /forum/post/14242797

1. I set the display resolution on my plasma to 1080, but the text isn't smooth at all and half/most of the bottom toolbar goes off the screen. the next lowest resolution where everything fits and is clear is 1280x768. Is it possible to improve the quality of what i'm seeing at 1080?

I'm assuming your plasma is a true 1080p set; if it isn't, you'll never get a good quality desktop at that resolution.

Make sure your plasma supports 1080p and you are sending 1920x1080 at 60 Hz NON-interlaced.

Set your plasma to NOT overscan, it may be called dot-by-dot, 1:1, or full mode. Default modes tend to stretch/overscan.

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thanks for the feedback guys, unfortunately before i could play around with setting i noticed after 1-2 minutes of booting into vista the display started to shift around, some dots appeared, and a couple borders turned pink.
i immediately shut it down and disconnected the dvi>hdmi cable and switched back to the dvi>pc cable and everything was ok again.

any ideas on what that could be? its the same video card and same output, and even though its a 1080p display it was only at 768 resolution at the time.

·
Registered
16,749 Posts
1024x768 is not normally a legal resolution over HDMI. You need to set the resolution to 720p, 1080i, or 1080p check your TV user's manual for what resolutions it will accept over its different inputs.

An advantage of the PC connection is that it does not overscan its input which the HDMI connection unless your TV has a way to disable overscan.

Unlesss you video sources of 1080i 0r 1080p there is not need to send the TV 1920x1080 since Pc desktop content may be too small at that resolution.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts