AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
341 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm trying to decide if my plasma would benefit from a video scaler when displaying SD material. Are there any websites that show simple screenshots of scaled SD material through a processor such as from DVDO? I can't seem to find any. I wanted to find basic information before I drive 80 miles to nearest DVDO dealer to view their demonstration.

Thanks.

·
Registered
17,407 Posts
TKO

I'm with you. Howcome nobody makes an attempt to show well their scaler/deinterlacer works? Perhaps a motion clip would only be as good as the computer its played on.

Ofer's reference URLs were interesting. That may help you when you go to audition.

I did notice that the DVDO website mentions a 30 day moneyback guarantee. Unfortunately, you pay full MSRP with them.

To further complicate this, after reading about the loss of vertical resolution with current scalers when converting from 1080i to 1080p, wouldn't it make more sense to wait for a realta based scaler to come out that maintains the vertical resolution??

·
Premium Member
8,103 Posts
Jim,

I remember a few companies that did have an A/B test within their system (Focus Enhancement for one, if I'm not mistaken). The biggest question people asked, is "how does this apply to me?". The B side (without processing) was simply Weaved and most people said "hey, my display doesn't look as bad as all that" and wouldn't see the benefit of the processors.

The truth of the matter is that each person's combination of equipmentwill react differently to the same material, and display it completely different!

Say I was making a processor, would I basically take a random display and photograph the differences? Would people that that demonstration seriously? Doubtful. How would this apply to their own displays and DVD players? It wouldn't.

Also, many of the improvements in the scaler are actually done during motion scenes. Static snapshots won't do the processing justice!

So, the only thing they can really do is put up simulations of their algorithms against shot of bob/weave. It wouldn't be realistic and it could do more harm than good.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.