Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I am kinda new to this whole hometheater thing, and am looking for some info/advise.

I am thinking of getting, when I can aford it, a video scaler for my DLP Vidikron Helios Projector. Is it worth getting for improving image quality? At the moment I am using an S-Video to 2 BNC S-Video connectors on my projector.

The reason I want the scaler is to convert the signal from the DVD Player (panasonic A360A) to a RGBHV signal at 800x600 (the native type for my projector at SVGA).

What I really want to know is if it would solve the following issue:

Example, R1 DVD of the Dark Crystal:

When I start this DVD up it goes to the main menu, but when it gets there the image looks clear and ok. Then in a split second the image sort adjusts itself and goes pixilated. This is true of almost all of the menus on this DVD. I am thinking this is an issue with the resolution which the projector receives, as when I hook up my PC to the projector (VGA port) I do not get this problem.

What do you think? Would a video scaler remove or improve image problems such as this?

I am thinking of saving up for the DeuceMC scaler, and also would like to know what others think of this scaler?

Also this is the only brand that I am aware exists, are there others and if so could you help direct me to them.

Thank You

AEthernaut

·
Registered
6,227 Posts
Being sold on the HTPC idea I would have to say that you should head on over to the HTPC forum and see what all the fuss is about... Threads like this this or this give you a flavor for what else you can achieve besides stunning DVD playback HDTV etc... There are drawbacks but they are far outweighed by the benefits if you are computer savvy...

If you want to go traditional route search for the TAW rock (a HTPC under the hood !!) or look at cheaper items like the quadscan or crystal image both of which represent the more budget end of the scaler market...

------------------

[email protected]
HTPC without using windows... GUI Front Ends for Home Theater

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.