AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
832 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Since the MPEG2 decoder in typical DVD player software decodes to native 720x480 resolution and then turns the video over to the graphics card for scaling, has anyone done a shootout of the quality of graphics cards as they scale up to PJ resolution?

I'm getting an HS10, and will be running DVI at 1366x768, so I want to obviously pick the best graphics card for the job. I'm also wondering if the Faroudja DCDi in the Holo3dGraph would be taken advantage of by a software DVD decoder, or is it completely bypassed in favor of the graphics card?

Thanks for any thoughts!

Eric.

·
Registered
822 Posts
I think you are confusing a few things.

No shootout neccesary. By consensus for DVD/video, any one of the Radeon cards will give you the best image + flexibility possible.

IMO, the Radeon 9500/9600 are currently at the sweet spot price/perforamance wise.

The Holo3dGraph is a self contained 'system'. It has its own scaler/frontend that lets it scale any thing coming through its inputs. It does not interface with any other 3rd party software per-se, save Dscaler or other capture software that can use it as a basic capture card.

The ouput of the H3D does not need to be decoded as the decoding would have been done by your STB DVD player.

BTW, all of the information you are looking for have been discussed ad nauseum on this forum. Use the search function, and you will get other opinions.

·
Registered
832 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I know the output of the H3D doesn't need to be decoded. I was wondering if there was a way to take advantage of the Faroudja DCDi scaler in the H3D as opposed to the "vanilla" YUV scaler in the graphics card (in this case the Radeon).

Or is the consensus that scaling from 720x480 up to 1366x768 or other HD resolutions) more precise on the radeon than the Faroudja?

Eric.

·
Registered
1,195 Posts
The H3D-II uses the Fli2300 which has 12-tap scaling vs the 4-tap scaling in the Radeon cards. However to utilize a software DVD player you have to pipe the output from the Radeon card through the H3D-II. OR you can use an xcard to decode the MPEG stream and hit the Fli2300 which can then do the de-interlace whereupon you can route to either the Radeon for scaling or scale and frame rate convert in the FLI2300 and output vi the H3D-II aux board in your RGB/Component/DVI format of choice.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...44#post2126944

·
Registered
653 Posts
You need to clarify whether you are talking about the orignal H3D or the H3D-II card. The original H3D card deinterlaces but does no scaling. Scaling is performed by the graphics card. The H3D-II card does have scaling and Immersive claims that it does a better job than current graphics cards but since it has not yet been released, there have been no objective comparisons made. If you are to believe Immersive, then don't worry about the graphics card (any old card will do), just get the Holo3D-II with the HD aux card.

Both cards, the Holo3D and the Holo3D-II, are capable of DCDi. As I understand it, DCDi is performed in the deinterlacing and not in the actual scaling of the resolution after deinterlacing. Furthermore, DCDi is only used for video-based material, not film-based material that is correctly encoded .

·
Registered
1,534 Posts
I may get into trouble for saying this, but...

About the only real advantage of using a Holo card is improving SD broacasts, and also having the option of scaling anything throug the card (home videos, etc.) and get a much more pleasing picture.

I doubt you will see much or any improvement with DVD's or HDTV viewing.

·
Registered
832 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Looks like I'm going to have to wait for the H3D-II...

Thanks Folks!

Eric.

·
Registered
653 Posts
Quote:
I doubt you will see much or any improvement with DVD's or HDTV viewing.
I would just add that this is true for properly encoded film-based dvds. But if you watch a lot of video-sourced or poorly-encoded dvds (still very common in some foreign dvds unfortunately), the Faroudja deinterlacing is still superior to software dvd players or anything else outside of a dedicated STB scaler.

Another nice thing about Holo3D-II is that it will have very modest cpu requirements. So you pay more for the board but you potentially can save quite a bit because you could run it on just about any old pc.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.