AVS Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all -

I have a Denon 1910/790 receiver in my home theater. The receiver is connected to my TV via one HDMI cable. I currently have my cable box connected to the receiver via component video and optical audio.

I didn't use HDMI to connect my cable box to the receiver because I wanted to retain the ability to use Video Select and play music from my iPhone, for example, while watching cable TV as my video source. I know that Denon doesn't allow mixing audio and video sources using Video Select with an HDMI source. (One sidebar question I have is why they did this? Is it a mandated restriction as part of the DRM built into the HDMI specification?)

My main question is, does anyone know if there are other receivers out there (including non-Denon) that provide a feature similar to Video Select, which also works using HDMI input sources. It doesn't have to be a button that lets you dynamically mix the video to a given audio input on an input select (i.e. it could just be the ability to pre-program an extra input select with HDMI from the cable box as the video source and whatever input my iPhone is plugged into for the audio source).

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
2,135 Posts
No, it doesn't have anything to do with DRM. I expect it's simply the nature of HDMI. Since the audio data and video data are transported in the same digital stream, it's not going to be simple to seperate them prior to the switching function. It could be done, I'm sure, but it would be more complex (and therefore more expensive) than simply limiting that function to sources that arrive with the video and audio already seperated.

I'm not aware of any processors or receivers that will do that, although you may be able to work around it. Many receivers will continue to display the last-selected video source, even if it's HDMI, when you select an audio-only source. So, if you run seperate audio cables along with your HDMI cables and connect the audio cables to audio inputs (such as Tape or CD), you can select the video input for what you want to watch then switch to the audio input you want to listen to, keeping the HDMI video on the screen.

·
Registered
1,805 Posts
On my 3-year-old Onkyo 605, I have my HTPC and PS3 running into the AVR and out to the TV all via HDMI. I also have a Squeezebox Touch connected to the 605 via coax (selected as the CD input). I can select a video source, then press the CD button to do what you're describing (video to the TV, audio from the Squeezebox through the receiver). I'm assuming they haven't removed this feature since then. I believe the only limitation is that the sound can only be selected from an audio-only source (CD, tape, aux, maybe radio).

1 - 3 of 3 Posts