AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
776 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If you were to create a video server what software would you use for file sharing. My intended setup would be:

- HTPC (no RAID) with 2 to 3 external drives

- DVD (ripped to HD and stored as ISO files) playback only, no HDTV or cable

- main server directly linked to Marantz DLP front projector

- client HTPCs (or other client?) to Panny (SDTV) plasma, analog CRT 50" RPTV, and 35" CRT directview TV

- using 10/100 ethernet and/or 80211a wireless LAN

Thanks

hjackson

·
Premium Member
2,564 Posts
Naive question. Why wouldn't you simply use Microsoft file sharing, and have client HTPC's simply read the vob files off your server? Why do you need special server software? I assume you're running windows xp.

I'm not sure, winxp home edition may limit you to 5 user connections. You may need xp pro on your server if thats an issue

·
Registered
776 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
"Naive question. Why wouldn't you simply..."

This site is my homepage. I've been surfing this site daily for three years. And I must say that I feel honored receiving the most rude, snobbish and uncalled for response that I have ever seen. Yes, Mr. work permit, I am naive. How silly of me not to know the "basic" file server software options.:eek: Since it's so obvious that everybody in the world has a 5 client, file sharing network in their home (probably set up in 2 minutes during breakfast by grandma), how could I possibly have missed this simple solution?

With an attitude like that, I strongly suggest that you stop "helping" people.

hjackson

·
Registered
6,227 Posts
Mr Jackson, had you considered the possibility that WorkPermit (a longtime member and usually helpful member) may have been phrasing his question politely as in that he may have been nieve to your special needs ???

It is a simple question so prefacing an obvious answer with "Perhaps this is a nieve question, but why would you not..." Etc is a fine way to work out what the needs of the origional poster are beyond what would be obvious... As regular posters often simply lower the word count to save finger skin and terminal tendonitus :) this is I am sure what he is saying...

I suggest you reread... think... and perhaps edit or apologise...

·
Registered
2,700 Posts
Work permit meant that his quesiton was naive. He was trying to help you. Why are you so defensive?

·
Registered
727 Posts
hjackson,

Work Permit is right. I am doing exactly what you are looking for. My (media) server runs Windows 2000 Advanced Server but can equally run Windows 2000 Profoessional or Windows XP. I found no need to have any more specialized 'server software'. I store only the actual movie part of DVD's using DVDDecriptor to rip and IFOEdit to strip streams and adjust ifo files.

And, barnhoram is correct: Work Permit was not rude! You misinterpreted his response.

·
Registered
2,138 Posts
pissing contest aside :p

I use linux (RedHat 7.something) and samba for my file serving needs....saves me a few bucks on needing to pay for another win license, and IMHO linux/samba is a bit faster than std windows smb shares (access to shares is snappier). Also, it allows me to use linux's powerful software raid solution for my large drives (up to 8x80 gig drives - RAID5), and it is very stable. I also run a MySql database on this machine (for storing all my mp3's info and dvd/divx movie information).

I realize that stability of win2x kernel based OS's is much better than it's forebearer (NT 4), but I prefer 99.99% availablility for my media collection...

Linux is not for everyone, but it can be a wonderful platform for this type of need.

Cheers,

Rich

·
Registered
52 Posts
You may want to stay clear of Win Xp Pro as this only allows 10 shares, I know this from experience due to the network I run at work. On our old network or NT server and win98 clients we used to use one of the clients as a print server, but when we move to 2000 server and XP pro clients we had to buy some netport type print servers at about £200 a piece ($320).

I had thought about using a central store for all my music and video before, but then worked out how much storage space I would need (about 1700GB and growing) to store it all. But for the main store you would probably want to use 2000 or 2000 server.

But another thing I wanted to mention is that on the network I run we have virtual cdrom software, for multimedia titles, etc. so we don't need CD drives in every machine. This software stores the CD/DVD's as image files on the server and then these can be loaded like CD/DVD's either by clicking on the image file and "inserting" it in the virtual drive, or using a CDROM player interface that lists all of the titles, and then when one is selected it is loaded in the virtual drive and a designated piece of software is run. Unfortunately this specific piece of software comes as part of a system deisgned for use inschools, and made by a company in the UK called Research Machines (RM), and they probably wont sell or supply it to any none educational sales. But a lot of their integrated software seems to be based on other peoples software which they licence or "borrow" so there may be something available out there that does the same job.

By the way this all works on top on standard windows domain networking, with several machines using the same CD image at the same time, so this could be the way to go.

It's also good for multiplayer network games where you need a copy of the CD for each player.

I hope I have been of some help. Good Luck.

Chris.

·
Premium Member
2,564 Posts
hjackson.

I'm sorry I offended you. I felt my question was naive, thats why I prefaced it that way. I thought you may have been asking for something else.

For example, perhaps you wanted to stream the video from the server to your HTPC's. There's software called videolan that does this. Its similar to setting up a shoutcast server, but doing it for video. This would be used if you wanted the server to "push" material onto the HTPC.

There could have been something else you were thinking that I didn't see.

If this was your question, and I told you to use windows file sharing, you could come back with "This site is my homepage. I've been surfing this site daily for three years. I bloody well know how to share files. I'm not an idiot. I find your answer demeaning".

Anyway, sorry to have offended you.

·
Registered
752 Posts
PP, Work permit, et. al,.

FWIW, I also read work permit's response as an insult to hjackson's question.

English is funny that way.

Cmon hjackson, everyone's said "I'm sorry." Kiss and make-up! :D

·
Registered
1,237 Posts
if you just want to build a file server as someone said use linux.. www.e-smith.org IMHO is the best solution to this.. add router/ap and your good to go.. use putty as the ssl software for configuring and no monitor is needed.. I use my esmith server for filestorage mp3 streaming webserver and email check out www.my-suzuki.homelinux.com/mp3 and please dont /. me ;-) will in this case it would be avsforum me haha oh and it took me a total of 45 min to setup and get working.. and i have almost 0 linux knowledge..

·
Registered
197 Posts
I second pen25 on e-smith... MUCH easier to work with vs. RedHat/Mandrake/SuSe or the like (and I run them all!). E-Smith is a wonderful tool. I use it for a media streaming server at work to keep all the (ab)users from using streaming media from the 'net and eating up bandwidth :)

Windows shares are incredibly user-friendly and it joins workgroups as easily as domains.

·
Registered
1,237 Posts
and best of all its free and built for this.. a simple 100 gig hard drive an duron 800 proc 256 meg of ram.. put in two nics and you have a router firewall.. i went and bought a mobo/proc combo for 119 had the case paid 99 bucks for the compusa maxtor 100 gig hard drive.. paid 9 bucks for the 256 meg ram had the extra nic.. so for under 300 bucks i have a server that does all i want and more.. i like to be able to put up webpages or post pics for friends or what not.. and i also love being able to access my music from on the road..

·
Registered
1,100 Posts
ditto on work permit not being rude.

For a small lan, using smb networking is the "occam razor" approach. linux+samba, win2K, NAS are all implementations of this. use what you are comfortable with (or have laying around, lol).

If you insist on a true media server, you could get MSs (needs windows server of some ilk, I believe) or RealServer (free, runs on all flavors of win and linux). I think this is unnecessarily complicating your life, though.

I vote for linux+samba. cheapest and most reliable solution. Oh, yeah, (whacks forehead) that's what I have and my divx files play just fine over the lan. I haven't tried ripped dvd's though but no reason why it shouldn't work. My server uptime is 406 days.

Phil

·
Premium Member
2,564 Posts
One issue with using a linux file server or NAS. Presumably it would be a bit more expensive, since you need to buy an additional box. By using windows file sharing, you can use one of the HTPC's as the file server.

Couple of questions on using a networked file server. Is it slower to rip a DVD onto a network file server, rather than rip it onto a local disk? If thats the case, you would want the appropriate DVD ripping software installed on your server. Thats not really an option with NAS.

Also, does SAMBA support >2GB files?

·
Registered
1,237 Posts
true you do have to build new machine but like i was saying for under 300 bucks you can build the server and have it do so many more things.. forget about software firewalls.. forget spam.. forget webhosts that has popups.. and forget the 20gig limit for file space.. i mean this is if you have high speed always connected and not an isp that blocks those ports you want to use.. plus how can you beat a free os that is so simple.

·
Premium Member
2,564 Posts
Plus you don't have to download a security patch/update every week from m$ft.

·
Registered
776 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Work Permit. I am sorry that I misunderstood your statement. I DID think that you were calling MY question naive, not your question. I couldn't understand how an AVS special member could be so demeaning. Thank you work permit and everyone else for answering my question. You have all been very helpful... except for SDDI...:p

hjackson

·
Registered
326 Posts
Here is a option for you if you dont want to help feed the M$ Giant...

There is a free for download, very easy to use Linux distrubution that supports software RAID mirroring for up to two drives..

We use it at work for three servers and has provided Awsome! performance and reliabiltity...one server has been up for almost two years non stop its a has two 80 gig drives in raid... and the hardware is actually from a old workstation (1 - 800 mhz AMD CPU, 2 - 80 gig 7200 rpm drives, 128 mb ram and it outperforms our newest Quad 1.8 Zeon, 15k RPM SCSI drives, running windows 2k, for file sharing speed) shares with apple and M$ and linux distros out of the box..

It also can be a web server and can act as you networks gateway to the internet doing Network Address Translation for you network NAT/firewall etc...

This is caller e-smith, actialy now its caller SME server, it can be found at:
www.e-smith.org

If you one for playing with alternative stuff check it out.

Jason

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.