AVS Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a Samsung DVD recorder and in the Video Setup screen there are two options for these two settings.

Input Level

Option 1: Lighter

Option 2: Darker

The default setting is set at Darker

Black Level

Option 1: 0 IRE

Option 2: 7.5 IRE

The default is set at 7.5 IRE

I will be recording off of a Tivo DVR, which options should these 2 settings be at for best quality.

·
Registered
5,094 Posts
probably depends a lot on your source. (I.e. DVR make need one setting / VHS transfer may need another) Try both ways and see which you like the best.

"Best Quality" is always in the eye of the beholder.

·
Registered
2,606 Posts
The Owners Manual says that 0 IRE is the NTSC standard so that is the setting I would use.

The very first thing you should do is calibrate the TV using a Video setup dvd before you mess with any video settings on the Samsung.

My neighbor has last years Samsung Combo model VR320 which he has the "OUTPUT" set to 0 IRE.

For the "INPUT" setting he sets it to "Lighter" when he is using the AV1 INPUT which he has his Cable Box connected to but when he is recording directly from the Samsung's Own Built-In Tuner he sets the "INPUT" setting to "Darker" because the Input Setting also affects the Built-In Tuner as well as the Inputs on his model.

Again, the big thing is to have the TV calibrated correctly because if it isn't & you set the Samsung's settings incorrectly by adjusting it to your TV when you go to play the DVD disc on another DVD Player & TV the picture maybe too Light (Washed Out) or too dark because of the incorrect settings on the Samsung.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.