AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 100mbit ethernet connection via LAN. I was wondering if I build a HTPC hook it up to the ethernet would I be able to send the live signal from the HTPC recieving the satellite signal, to my upstairs PC via ethernet, so I could watch it as the show is airing. Not a previously recoreded show. Is this possible and if so how would I go about doing it, which program? Thanks, in advanced

·
Registered
3,316 Posts
Windows Media Encoder can do live broadcasting/streaming, which is pretty much what you want. It is a free download from Microsoft. 100Mb/s should be able to handle that.

·
Registered
1,245 Posts
Cal,

I think what he wants is a video balun - not to stream media.

Mike

·
Registered
3,858 Posts
Hmmmm . . . I sounded like he didn't care how he got it as long as it was live. That is a good way to do it.

·
Registered
925 Posts
I think the balun idea is probably better. I actually thought the idea was pretty cool.

·
Registered
4,182 Posts
Isn't a video balun used for sending 'video via Cat 5 cable' as opposed to 'video via Ethernet'? Unless there are video-to-Cat 5 devices that allow simultaneous network connection, I think the streaming video encoder is what Cardguy needs.

·
Registered
1,245 Posts
Well Cardguy, what do you need :)

·
Registered
3,316 Posts
He said ethernet and he mentioned having an HTPC at the head-end. If he wanted to send it over CAT5, putting an HTPC at the front makes no sense since you would have an extra A/D conversion in there at the minimum.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Basicly what I want to do is send the signal from my downstairs HTPC, to my upstairs normal PC using cat5 ethernet cable, its just a 100mbit LAN. So since my HTPC computer has a TV Tuner Card with the satellite connection into it, I want to send that satellite signal upstairs via 100mbit LAN to my computer so I can watch satellite from my upstairs computer if I want. (I know the channel for satellite will have to be changed downstairs inless I get a IR sender thingy).

I just don't know how to send that video signal, like what program, if there is one. Rather than having to split that satelite cable, and run a new cable upstairs.

Thanks, hope thats a clearer explination

·
Registered
3,316 Posts
You're using different terminology in your post and it makes it hard to figure out what you want.

You are possibly talking about two things:

-Sending video over CAT 5 cables.

-Sending video over a network.

Both have actually been answered, you just need to decide which you need! :)

·
Registered
2,613 Posts
How is the video quality using an RJ45 balun and is there one made that will do S-video to RJ45? What do you do about the stereo audio?

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
What I want to do is send video thru a network. Via NIC's, a Hub, and a patch cable (cat5, with RJ45). I don't want to use the patch cable as a cable to send video, but send it thru the LAN. So I need to use Windows Media Player? I don't get how you could set that up.

·
Registered
323 Posts
This helped me maybe someone else:

"Profile on Baluns

Baluns allow two dissimilar cable types to be joined together with the minimum of electrical degradation. The word Balun comes from the terms Balanced cable (twisted pair), and Unbalanced cable (co-ax), i.e. a device permitting the physical and electrical connection of these very different cable types. Our Baluns have been designed with the installer in mind. The units have the following features:"

Can someone tell me what speed network will work for video over ethernet?

·
Registered
3,858 Posts
you can have 10baseT for streaming media as long as you have a good network setup supporting it. Of course its cheap enough to get 100baseT now a days. 300kbs is a pretty decent video stream.

·
Registered
1,245 Posts
Rick,

The balun I have has 4 RCA type connectors on each end. Therefore you could do svideo with a svideo to rca type connector (has 2 rca connectors) and use the other 2 for stereo. I only use composite and stereo out to an old tv in my sunroom. I use it to play music off a pc. Works great. No obvious signal degradation. But I consider myself an enthusiast no an audio/video phyle ;)

Mike

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.