AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was over at a friend's house this past weekend, helping him setup his HT equipment. We noticed lots of combing when the HD Leeza was provided with video based material.

The setup was:

Sharp 10k

HD Leeza (haven't upgraded firmware yet).

Panny rp62 w/SDI (provided with Leeza)

Zenith HD STB for DirecTV

Zenith was connected to the Leeza via component, with the Zenith set for 1080i. Panny was via SDI to the Leeza. Leeza was DVI to the Sharp. All cables except the DVI and SDI were BetterCables.

The rp62 provided a very nice, film like image. Smooth, defined without being overly sharp. No artifacts worth mentioning. The Leeza did a great job here.

The Zenith, however, performed rather poorly through the Leeza. Since it hadn't been activated, we could only watch SD material on the "preview" channels (i.e. channel 100). And we saw it comb. Man, was it combing. Especially on scene changes.

My thoughts were this:

1) The Zenith is converting 480i to 1080i, which confuses the deinterlacing of 1080i by the HD Leeza.

2) The firmware in the HD Leeza is out of date, and needs to be updated.

Has anybody else seen these problems? I'd look through the HD Leeza thread, but that thread is now larger than life itself :D

TIA,

·
Premium Member
8,099 Posts
It's possible that the 480i->1080i is confusing the unit. I think most 1080i today is film mode, so the HDL might be biased more towards film mode (3:2 pulldown) than video mode. That could cause a problem with upscaled 480i->1080i (particularly since we don't know exactly how the Zenith performs this task).

I'd report this to Key Digital.

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Will do. I'll upgrade the firmware first, then see if we still get combing.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.