Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

3 Part question:

First, I seem to be having a few issues with "stutters" and "frame jumping" when I try to stream medium quality video between my 2 5040s. I have been doing some testing and one of the things that seems very interesting is the fact that when I turn on the network bandwidth monitor it only shows that it is streaming at the max of about 500k/s. If I watch the meter it seems to jump between 100k/s to 300k/s to 500k/s which seems a little odd. Does anyone have any idea why they would want to bandwidth limit the nic to 500k/s causing what seems like frame jumping and stutters. They only thing I can think of is to either not flood your network (which would be doubtful) or perhaps to make sure all the I/O bandwidth does not get taken up by streaming.

Second, since my replays are on different floors and I do not have wire run to my second floor. I have setup a wireless lan using 2 Linksys 2.4ghz WAPs and the networks are now bridged. It seems to work very well, I do not have any lost packets at all and from what I can tell get close to 100% signal strength. Does anyone have opinions on using a wireless setup like this and if it will affect streaming performance? It seems that if the replay is only streaming at 500k/s max then there should be plenty of bandwidth for video streaming.

Third, I have recently upgraded one of my 5040s with a 120GB 7200rpm Maxtor Drive. Do you get any performance bonuses by using a faster drive or is SB using a weak controller that will not provide any benefits at all? I know that it is recommend to use 5400rpm drives for heat reasons, but the 7200rpm drive as $89 after rebates from CompUSA so it was pretty hard to pass up. On a side note, it does seem to do searches much faster than my replay that has not been upgraded (yet :) ).

Thanks,

Sxr2

·
Registered
3,715 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by sxr2
First, I seem to be having a few issues with "stutters" and "frame jumping" when I try to stream medium quality video between my 2 5040s.
Have you tried turning the remote ReplayTV off? My testing has shown that they are capable of streaming standard quality when they're both on, but can only stream at medium or high without problems if the remote ReplayTV is turned off.

As for the wireless part of your LAN, in the past a few people have gotten 4000/4500 units to stream using a wireless link, but others have had problems with wireless and streaming.

If their bandwidth monitor is correct, it would appear wireless should be plenty fast enough to keep up.

-Gary

·
Registered
9,578 Posts
Just for fun, have you ever tried running an FTP session across your

WAP bridge to see what the max sustained transfer rates are?

Not saying this is what is happening to you, but sometimes I've

noticed these things work ok at slow speeds and will lose packets

if you are transferring at higher speeds. Also 500-600KB/sec is

the max effective transfer rate you are going to see with single-channel

802.11b. Forget about the 11mbps theoretical. You don't get it

in practice. FTP will tell you the max you can expect. (802.11a and

802.11b dual-channel would be different)

Regarding the 7200rpm drives, I also got in on the BB version of

the deal. My drives happened to have 8mb cache version in the

2mb box. Things seem a little snappier, but I always thought it was

in my imagination. Channel changing still takes 5 seconds with

the builtin analog tuner, but since you mentioned it, the searches

do seem faster.

·
Registered
6,497 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by sfhub
but since you mentioned it, the searches

do seem faster.
It only stands to reason as I would suspect there's quite a bit of disk I/O involved with searches.

·
Registered
653 Posts
Aren't there some latency issues that come in to play with a wireless link too? A high network latency across the WAP link might cause stuttering video regardless of the overall network speed.

·
Registered
9,578 Posts
My aironet 340 AP only adds 2ms latency so I don't think it is

really significant under normal conditions. If a neighbor turns

on their 2.4ghz Panasonic cordless phone and all hell breaks

loose, that's a different story. :)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.