AVS Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
657 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been having a problem where when watching an MKV (720p or 1080p) I get a quick stutter about every 30 seconds or so. XBMC is my media software of choice, but I tried it with MPC-HD and WMP as well with the same results. I also tried copying the file over locally (normally access from an unRAID box) and the same thing happens.

Back when I built my HTPC about a year ago, it happened once or twice on a file and I just figured they were bad encodes or something, but of late it seems to be happening on every other movie.

My specs are:

AMD Athlon II X4 630

GIGABYTE GA-MA785GMT-UD2H Mobo, of which I'm using the onboard video, but I also tried using a separate video card with the same results (Sapphire Radeon HD5450 1GB DDR2).

Any ideas?

·
Registered
657 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'll give the shark codecs a shot, at least to see if it fixes the problem...but I'm guessing that won't fix the problem within XBMC since I think that uses it's own built-in codecs (unless you use the DSPlayer build, which I also tried, with some success, but found it too buggy).

·
Registered
2,501 Posts
If it is regular it sounds like your frame rate and refresh rate and/or display rate do not match.

If you have a TV connected it is probably refreshing @59.94Hz or 23.976Hz. Make sure you select these rates for your GPU (59 & 23 respectively in ATI's CCC), NOT 60Hz or 24Hz.

Depending on the clock accuracy of your system you may also need Reclock to completely eliminate judder.

·
Registered
703 Posts
I had a friend who's HTPC just out of the blue started stuttering. Simple setup...MPC, ffdshow, ac3filter, Haali...Anyways, we tried everything with the exception of a fresh XP install. We ended up just uninstalling various codecs, and reinstalling them. This fixed the problem.

You can do this by:

1. Open your start menu and choose "Run".

2. Type "mmsys.cpl"

3. Hit Enter

4. Choose the Hardware Tab.

5. Select Video Codecs from the list.

6. Choose Properties.

7. In the new window, choose Properties.

This shows a list of video codecs you have installed. However, this doesn't include all of the Direct Show Filters. Obviously, you can select one and click Remove.

·
Registered
657 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by jong1 /forum/post/19612613

If it is regular it sounds like your frame rate and refresh rate and/or display rate do not match.

If you have a TV connected it is probably refreshing @59.94Hz or 23.976Hz. Make sure you select these rates for your GPU (59 & 23 respectively in ATI's CCC), NOT 60Hz or 24Hz.

You may be on to something here...but the problem is when I changed my refresh rate to 59 or 23, the image goes out of whack. In fact, it seems the only refresh rates (that I tried anyway) that leave a clear image were 25 (interlaced) and 30. This is with a Pioneer Elite Pro 710-HD, using HD Fury 2 for HDMI.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.