Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

Does anyone has this same problem as me?

I notice whenever I play back any DVD on my PC, there is a slight stutter of the video. It is more noticeable when I look carefully at the moving oject in the video. And it is even more obvious when I am using other programs on the background in my PC...

My PC is quite new (6 months old) and powerful:

AMD Athlon 64 3000+

1 GB merory

128Mb graphic card 6600GT

I tried a few different softwares to play the DVD but the results are the same...

My CPU load before launching any software DVD player was around 5 to 10%, and should be around 20 to 40% depends on how many background programs it is processing...

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Many thanks.

Teg

·
Registered
124 Posts
I've noticed the same behavior with my HTPC, except my problem was with a WMVHD movie. Admittedly, my original video card (64 MB ATI Radeon 7000) couldn't handle the load so I upgraded to a 256MB nVidia 6200. This helped tremendously although I still notice a slight jitter. My HTPC specs are only slightly below yours but well within acceptable levels IMO. There has to be some sort of tweaking that can be done because there is no reason either of our systems should be struggling with this.

·
Registered
1,732 Posts
teg:

What DVD players are you using? What is your output resolution and what is your diplay device?

daphatty:

Your 6200 may be too slow for 1080p WMHD files. How about 720P?

More info like I'm asking teg would be more helpful...

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hi DPB,

Of course I had try not run anything in the background, same problem...

Hi miketech,

I had try PowerDVD5, WinDVD7 and VLC, same problem...

I am using a 20" Apple cinema display on PC, output resolution is set at it's native 1680x1050, refresh rate set to 60 (I only can choose 59 or 60)...

·
Registered
3,534 Posts
You will need to try to get the refresh rate as close to 59.94 hz as possible (assuming your Apple Cinema Display expects this refresh - it should!). You will need to fiddle with a custom timing with the NVIDIA Display Panel - or use Powerstrip to fine-tune the refresh rate in real-time.

Typically with an NVIDIA card, the refresh rate will be something like 59.817 hz or 60.xx, NOT 59.94 hz, which I think is a big weakness of the NVIDIA cards/drivers for HTPC use.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Wow, anyone in the same shoe like me? How to get the refresh rate exactly at 59.94 hz? Never heard of such precise setting needed... It seems like nothing I could adjust on both the Apple Cinema Display and NVIDIA Display Panel.

Does using this thing call "Powerstrip" to fine-tune the refresh rate in real-time slow the PC down?

Hi daphatty,

Are you using the system of PAL like me? Do you think that might be a reason? The 25FPS issue?

When I play back the WMVHD clips (720p), it does has the same problem..

·
Registered
8,079 Posts
I reckon you need 47.952hz or 71.928hz as 59.94hz is going to judder badly for film.

·
Registered
3,534 Posts
teg, fiddling with the refresh rate shouldn't affect system performance - in other words, it won't increase CPU usage.

For some tips on how to change adjust refresh rates using Powerstrip, take a look at this thread. Unfortunately, it mostly discusses 1280x720 refresh rates, but I hope it is of use to you. You can apply some of the tips in here to adjusting timings using the NVIDIA Display Panel, although it would be a bit more painful:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...hreadid=481965

BTW, I have no idea if your monitor can support 47.952 hz or 71.928 hz - but I find it unlikely. People do this to remove NTSC 3:2 pulldown stutter, which most people don't notice unless they are hardcore tweakers like us. :)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.