AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am about to set up a new home theater and would like some advice from the pro's.

My goal is to make the operation as easy as possible for Wife, Son and Guests.

The equipment includes:

- Mits 65" Diamond RPTV

- YAMAHA AVR1000 Receiver

- Denon DVD (2800)

- Denon CDR (1500)

- Mits S-VHS VCR

- Front R/L Speakers = Def Tech PM700

- Center Speaker = Def Tech CLR2500

- Rear Speakers - Def Tech UIWBPA (In ceiling bipolar speaker)

- Sub - Def Tech 15+

- Cable Box (Something Scientific....???)

I also want to keep options open for a DirectTV sat. system.

My basic questions are:

1) What are the pro's and con's of video switching within the receiver (putting all sources into the receiver first) vs. putting video connections direct to the TV (For now I'm thinking about the progressive scan output from the DVD play - should I run the component cables through the receiver or direct to the TV. I could also run the s-video connections from the VCR either straight to the TV or through the receiver.)

2) On some store displays there seems to be an annoying lag between video and sound (looks like an old kung foo movie). What causes this and how can it be avoided?

3) Does anyone have any advise on a universal/programable remote? The key would be simplicity in all respects. I'd like to program it myself (and I know very little) and I would want it to provide as close to 1 touch access as possible (especially with respect to turing on, changing inputs, etc.). I'm thinking Pronto 2000 but would like some learned advice.

Thanks!!

·
Registered
102 Posts
JPR, "My goal is to make the operation as easy as possible for Wife, Son and Guests".

With this in mind as the highest priority, I would suggest running everything thru your receiver and let it do all your A/V synchronization. Trying to match your audio to the right input on your TV can become tiring. Now if you become "VERY" fimilar with Pronto edit (TSU2000) you can set up macros to do this automatically.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks HT!

Is there any downside to running everything through the receiver (any actual loss of resolution, etc.)?

If I do this, what connections do I need to make between the receiver and the TV (will a component connection carry all sources to the TV or do I need a connection equal to the way each video source is connected to the TV)?

Any experience with the Pronto? Can I pay someone to do it?

·
Registered
45 Posts
You shouldn't loose anything going through the receiver but if you don't want to use the receiver for video switching it's still easy to do.

The key is to get the Pronto.

Yes, you can pay someone else to program it, but they may not do it that is intuitive to your thinking.

The best thing about the Pronto is that you can program it to work exactly how you think. You can also program it exactly how your wife would think and how your kids will think.

And yes, all of it fits in there.

Don't be afraid of Pronto edit. It's easy and once you get going, you'll love it.

·
Registered
102 Posts
JPR, Most receivers are going to require you to use the same output type as the input. ex; composite, S-video or component. That is where you have to make the decision if your going to use your TV to do the switching (input1,input2,etc..)Or use your receiver.

There is 2 schools of thought if component is better than S-video. Each device will net different results. I personally prefer component, but I will say that "I have seen" several s-video carried output that was equal or better than component on the same device. I suggest you A/B it. Its simple to do if you have 2 "identical" dvd players.

Yes, we do Pronto edit programming. Just send me a email @
[email protected]

·
Registered
410 Posts
If you run all your sources to the TV then you have the advantage of only needing to have the TV and the device your watching on. This can make it simple for children to watch the VCR or Cable Box and they don't need to turn on Dads expensive receiver and play with all those buttons.

If you feel everyone who will have access to your system will have no problem understanding making the changes with your

A/V Receiver's remote then I would strongly suggest running everything through the receiver. If your Receiver has OSD

"On Screen Display" then you will be able to uitilize that feature which can simplify things and adds a great deal of "Cool Factor" to your system.

What I often do is run everything through the receiver. I will also hook up the VCR and DSS or Digital Cable Box to the TV via the Coax RF output as well. That way it can still be simple for kids or others to have just the TV on and watch those devices over Channel 3 "the old fasion way" and not be running Dads expensive receiver 8 hours a day. When you want your Home Theater experience, you just switch the TV to the Video Input being fed from the A/V Receiver and enjoy all the technology you paid for.. :)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.