AVS Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I currently have a Marantz NR1501, which I would take great pleasure in tossing through the window by the way. Anyway, occasionally, the video image coming through the 1.3 HDMI port on the Marantz from a DirecTV HD DVR will suddenly take on a green tinge on the LCD tv, and nothing will fix it aside from hard power cycling the DirecTV box.

Now, the HDMI port on the DirecTV is not 1.4, and neither is the TV, but would upgrading to a receiver with 1.4 help at all? I thought I had read somewhere that the 1.4 has some sort of pass through capability that would make it less succeptible to sync issues, but I don't really know. I am not an expert by any stretch.

I also read that moving to 1.4 won't do anything for you unless the other components it is connecting with are also 1.4.

The DirecTV box when connected directly to the TV via HDMI never did this, so my assumption is that the Marantz is somehow causing the problem. Although that said, why wouldn't power cycling the Marantz fix the problem. I'm confused!

Any help is much appreciated.

Thanks,

Mike

·
Registered
12,438 Posts
HDMI 1.4 has an option called ARC, audio return channel, so that a TV's internal tuner can send the audio back to the AVR over the same HDMI cable that the AVR uses to feed video to the TV for other sources.

HDMI also has "stand by pass thru" that allows an AVR to pass an HDMI source through to its HDMI output even when powered down.

As for green, you are not alone. Here's a representative post with a possible solution.

Another solution is to do as you already tried, connect the DirecTV box to the TV, and connect the S/PDIF audio to the AVR. Hopefully the TV has a second HDMI input so the AVR can still send it video from other sources like BD.

·
Premium Member
93,361 Posts
The issue isn't likely with the AVR, but rather with either the DVR or the HDMI cable itself. First try replacing the cable and if still no joy, as Roger suggests, connect the DVR directly to the TV w/optical to the AVR. Cable/Sat boxes often have HDMI handshake issues with AVRs as most aren't correctly designed to be connected to AVRs, rather just straight to the TV. Some DirecTV owner's have resolved their issue by upgrading to a newer model DVR.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.