AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,377 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone have any experience with transfering video tape to your PC and then burning it to a DVD? I am looking at software such as "PINNACLE SYSTEMS Express".

My questions are mainly:

What type of interface between the VCR and the PC?

How much space will it require to store several hours of video,

then how long will it take to burn a 2 hour DVD??

I simply want to save some rapidly deteriorating VHS tapes of home movies.

Thanks a bunch!

·
Registered
554 Posts
Please search this forum for VHS and DVD (or just the former). There are several threads discussing this. Generally for reasons of maximizing longevity and minimizing the error rate, you may be well adviced to burn at 1x speed (i.e. 2 hrs for a 2 hr DVD), particularly on the cheaper generic DVD-R media like that from http://www.cdrecordable.com/.

As for the interface, you have options raning from ATI All-In Wonder graphics+tuner+capture cards to FireWire cards with a FireWire camcorder taking analog input from your VCR, to lower end analog capture cards like Winniov Videum 1000 Plus or Osprey 200, to the better capture cards like Pinnacle Pro One.

Generally do not expect more than approx. 3 hrs of VHS quality video per DVD side (there are some double-sided DVD-R's these days). Yes it is unexpectedly less than movies, but movies are encoded from the 24 frames per second, progressive, noiseless source rather than the juttery / noisy / 30fps interlaced VHS video.

In choosing your optuions, look at the software (capture / video editing / MPEG encoding / DVD menu and navigation cteation). It makes a difference. Better Mpeg 2 encoding software will support full IBP compression and variable bit rate.

Alec

PS At your earliest convenience, wind all your tapes fully forward - this will help relieve the tape pressure and storing tape wound on the alternating spool for a while might help negate some of the magnetic print-through (though the print through thing may be applicable only to audio-only tapes)

·
Registered
1,377 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Alec. I will do a search.

Can a simple video capture (TV Tuner) card with RCA type inputs be used to connect a VCR?

Thanks again.

·
Registered
3,858 Posts
Mark,

Yes, but you might need to convert the file when your done pending on the software that you used to capture it. I personally use a Radeon AIW. IF you use the AIW software to do the capture you will need to re-encode the audio because it only captures at 44khz. Other encoding programs however might not have that limit.

·
Registered
6,653 Posts
I capture from my DTC 100 via Video Blaster Digital VCR, convert to mpeg with built-in utility and archive to VCD with Ulead DVD movie maker. You can archive to DVD, SVCD, etc.

$50 for Ulead at CompUSA.

$99 online for the VB card.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.