AVS Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This may be in the incorrect forum and if so please feel free to move it.

Doing a remodel at our office and we are looking at potentially 2 90 inch TV's or maybe 4 smaller TVs in a video wall.

Any recommendations for Video Wall controllers that are not Crestron ( or in others words outrageously expensive )?

We are looking at doing the following with the "wall"

Video Conferencing ( Lifesize Icon 600 )

Workstation ( for presenting Power Points and CAD drawings )

Cable Box ( for the big games of course )

HDMI input for Laptops/Tablets/Etc

Would love an affordable simple solution that would allow us to do 4 smaller displays ( maybe 55's or something like that ).

also would love recommendations of small bezel TVs if we do decide to do the video wall.

Thanks

·
Registered
10,866 Posts
Do you really mean a "video wall" - which implies tiling a single image across the dispalys (2x2 would be a minimum), or just an array of screens "close together on the wall"?

The latter is easily accomplished with an HDMI matrix switch, the former requires a specialized processor. Video wall "tiling" is the feature you need to search for if that's what you're after...

·
Registered
6,973 Posts
Many new commercial grade displays offer video wall capabilities.

But, the ability to easily setup and control that system is still going to rest with whether you want this system to be usable to anyone, and is exactly why a system like Crestron, or AMX is being recommended because many of the 'other guys' control systems have no capacity to handle that level of one-touch ease in a non-standard system.

A video wall setup can be accomplished by using something like the Crestron DMPS series which has multiple HDMI and DM (HDBaseT) inputs and splits out video and audio outputs to feed local speakers as appropriate. My recommendation would likely be for the DMPS400 which is a multiple DM input solution, with four matrixed outputs and integrated control system, and audio outputs in a phenomenally reliable system.

The outputs from the DM system would feed the video wall and the integrated control system would allow for the system to switch from video wall mode (1 image across all 4 displays) and tiled mode with individual feeds to each of the displays.

If you just want to run the displays, full time, in video wall mode, then I would probably bypass the DM system for a basic high quality HDMI switcher from any high quality company such as Extron, though their pricing is similar to Crestron in this regard and use HDBT extenders as necessary to get video moved about and then use a HDMI splitter behind the TVs to feed the image to all of the displays.

Still though, to keep it easy to use, an basic Crestron system, or similar, would make a lot of sense.

A decent universal remote control, programmed by someone who knows what they are doing, typically takes four+ hours to setup with a basic single screen setup and known equipment without a GUI. If this is to be easy to use, then it may take a bit more time and money to achieve it. I'm not sure what your level of expertise is on this and what level of reliability you expect, but considering you need VTC control and integration, along with multiple sources, you will need microphones in place, and I'm guessing ease and reliability, then you are looking at AMX/Crestron as the core for control. It certainly doesn't have to do everything, but in the case of Crestron, there is nothing that is more reliable on the market today. You actually will get what you pay for with them.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Was initially thinking of just 2 screens but now we had considered a 4x4 video wall.

So if it was just the 2 90's then either a simple switcher or maybe even just control it with a workstation with multiple monitor outputs.

If we went the 4x4 route then we would need something to control everything which means probably Crestron. I am not opposed to the Crestron but the cost may be prohibitive.

Thanks to both of you for the reply. I will dig a little on "Video Wall tiling" and also consider the quality and reliablity that the crestron system provide.

·
Registered
6,973 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by vdubayas  /t/1525837/video-wall-controller#post_24584656

Was initially thinking of just 2 screens but now we had considered a 4x4 video wall.

So if it was just the 2 90's then either a simple switcher or maybe even just control it with a workstation with multiple monitor outputs.

If we went the 4x4 route then we would need something to control everything which means probably Crestron. I am not opposed to the Crestron but the cost may be prohibitive.

Thanks to both of you for the reply. I will dig a little on "Video Wall tiling" and also consider the quality and reliablity that the crestron system provide.
Crestron can run the gamut for pricing. A simple request of "We would like..." can double the price of the system. But, for baseline control and functionality, the only thing you 'must have' from Crestron is the processor and some programming. The rest of the gear can come from wherever as long as it is decent gear and that gear would be required no matter what.

Their RMC controller, for example, could give you a iPad control interface and IP or serial control of the system for under $1,000 + programming. Using solid pieces, it could be programmed in about a day if the system is straightforward enough. A few day or far more if you start making complex requests.

When you say 4x4 video wall - are you talking about 16 separate displays? Or so you mean 2x2 video wall with 4 total displays? That will affect the installation a fair bit as well.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts