AVS Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've seen very few conclusive threads regarding this issue. I have several video files that play fine in WMP but encounter a codec problem in Media Center. I have read that Media Center will default to certain codecs that may conflict with installed codecs, but haven't really heard of a good solution for resolving this. I've seen a third party plugin that is supposed to address the issue, but I do not know if it is a trusted source and I'm trying to keep my HTPC as clean as possible. Any advice would be most helpful. Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
516 Posts
Initially DivX just crashed VMC when generating thumbnails. I switched to using Xvid which worked perfectly. Unfortuately when I ungraded PowerDVD the DivX AVI files now reported a Codec not found error in VMC but worked in WMP. I though I could just remove Xvid and then reinstall it but this didn't work. I ended up removing Xvid, installing DivX, removing DivX and then installing Xvid. This works but I don't know what registry settings or files that DivX does that is needed under VMC

Brian

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the reply. Unfotunately, it seems like every reply is different and has a tint of "I'm not really sure what I did." Does anybody know if there is a definitive answer to this? It just seems odd that WMP and MC wouldn't share the same codecs. especially when WMC is just a front end to WMP, et. al.

·
Registered
163 Posts
what type of video? mpeg2/4? which codecs do you currently have installed? have you used graphedit to see where the proper / improper codecs are working?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Based on Brian's post I figured I would give the following a shot:

Uninstall all codecs

Reboot

Install ffdshow

All set now. I wouldn't be surprised if I don't come back to this thread in a few days, but for now I'm good. Thanks.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts