AVS Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,465 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I use my pc via the HDMI out of my GTX560 to my receiver, from there my sub preout is connected to an Inuke3000dsp amp, then to my sub.

Not sure where to post this. I'm having a noise from what I assume is my video card. It's like a sequelling buzz from my subwoofer, fairly quiet. This noise ONLY happens when playing a game on the pc. Video content, music, web browsing, applications and just idling I can't hear the noise at all. Only when I start up a game, for example: Starcraft 2, arma 3, half a dozen games on steam. I know for a fact that Starcraft 2 has 5.1 audio. My last setup had a def tech sub, never heard this noise. My drivers are up to date. I changed HDMI cables, I changed ports on receiver, I changed cables to sub amp and sub itself. I played with every setting in windows I can think of. I hope others have had this issue and have overcome it. Please feel free to chime in and help rid me of this insanely annoying problem!

Edit, sometimes starcraft 2 freezes for half a second when loading or in the menu, the noise disappears during that time and returns when the game unfreezes.

·
Registered
1,465 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aleron Ives  /t/1520217/videocard-output-noise-please-help#post_24423403

Does it sound like this?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_3xWF50uIgU

If you run Windows Experience Index to benchmark your PC, do you hear the same noise during the GPU tests? If so, you have coil whine, and it seems to be common among all high-end GPUs these days.

Similar to that sound, but its produced from my subwoofer not my actual video card. I believe its the video card that is casing the noise in my subwoofer.

·
Registered
5,213 Posts
If the coil whine is loud enough, your sound card will receive and repeat the noise, especially if the video card is close to the audio components inside the case.

·
Registered
1,465 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrkazador  /t/1520217/videocard-output-noise-please-help#post_24423702

Enabling vsync might work but then youll get input lag. I have a similar problem with my gtx 780. When the fps skyrockets on a blank screen or menu, I can hear a squeal through my headphones.

Vsync has no effect.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aleron Ives  /t/1520217/videocard-output-noise-please-help#post_24424187

If the coil whine is loud enough, your sound card will receive and repeat the noise, especially if the video card is close to the audio components inside the case.

Im using audio from the video card it self, hdmi to receiver. I hear no while from the actual video card, only from subwoofer.

·
Registered
1,465 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
After paying close attention I can hear the noise although faintly, when moving the mouse and scrolling on web browsers, even at idle. So this must be a voltage issue possibly with my power supply. Perhaps using a different wall outlet than my pc for my amp could solve this?

·
Registered
5,213 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlphaPie  /t/1520217/videocard-output-noise-please-help#post_24424975

After paying close attention I can hear the noise although faintly, when moving the mouse and scrolling on web browsers, even at idle.

I had a similar problem when my sound card was mounted in the PCIe slot above my GPU (meaning the boards were physically

·
Registered
1,465 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aleron Ives  /t/1520217/videocard-output-noise-please-help#post_24426687

I had a similar problem when my sound card was mounted in the PCIe slot above my GPU (meaning the boards were physically

My video card is outputting both video and audio, so I have no sound card to move.

·
Registered
2,006 Posts
I am struggling with a similar issue as well with my video card. In my case a AMD R7 260x. But I get what sounds like low volume digital static noise from all of my speakers during gaming. At idle and with non-game stuff everything is quiet. I tried using the motherboard SPDIF output (which is toslink) and heard the same sounds thru my speakers. If I disable the AMD card and use the motherboard HDMI output the sound is gone.

In my research I believe that the problem is more an issue with memory timing, PCI bus BIOS settings and CPU power saving idle to full load transitions. I went into the BIOS and turned off the XPPP memory profile (mild overclocking) and turned off the power saving C1/C3/6/7 and EIST (enhanced intel speed step tech) halt states which did not eliminate the sound but did effect the pitch and volume of the sound. For me the biggest reduction in the sound came when I updated my REALTEK ethernet drivers to the latest and greatest which I believe fixed some of the issues that may have been happening across the PCIe bus traffic.

If you google search for DAW (digital audio workstation) BIOS tweak settings you will see where people who are in the business of audio production have found various bios settings that seem to make a difference.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts