AVS Forum banner

41 - 60 of 90 Posts

·
Registered
542 Posts
Discussion Starter #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.D /forum/post/14184506

The gui appears a series of sliders on my machine rather than points on a curve as in the example image. Its not a huge deal as functionality is the same : just wonder as to the reasons behind this.

You got the old version 1.0 of the VideoEqualizer I posted a time ago. Please download the zip file from this thread.

·
Registered
3,314 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by FoLLgoTT /forum/post/14188229

You got the old version 1.0 of the VideoEqualizer I posted a time ago. Please download the zip file from this thread.

Cool many thanks.

·
Registered
8,079 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark_A_W /forum/post/14181042

I got it working

There is a multi monitor issue. You must only have one monitor enabled, then it works fine.

If you look at Powerstrip Gamma controls, you will see your curve is loaded (I made a really wacky curve just to check).

When you reactivate the second monitor, the LUT is loaded for both - which is fine with me.

Thanks Follgott, this is a really great step forward.

It's perfectly good enough now, but I can think of two enhancements;

1. Multimonitor support - or at least make it work for both monitors at the same time without the errors.

2. A "re-smoothing" function. It's really hard to get the curve smooth again after doing something like the "CRT bump". It would be really nice to be able to lock a few points - maybe just one, and then resmooth the rest to get those little kinks out.

Thanks heaps

Mark

Dang, I'm still having major issues..

1. It doesn't work at all on monitor 2, even if that is the only monitor enabled. It works on monitor 1, but only alone.

2. It gets reset on reboot - back to a straight line. I'm not certain if it only does this with multi-monitors enabled.

Thanks

Mark

·
Registered
3,314 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark_A_W /forum/post/14188369

Dang, I'm still having major issues..

1. It doesn't work at all on monitor 2, even if that is the only monitor enabled. It works on monitor 1, but only alone.

2. It gets reset on reboot - back to a straight line. I'm not certain if it only does this with multi-monitors enabled.

Thanks

Mark

I've found I can only get custom luts to apply on a couple of apps with powerstrip. However with video equalizer I can get the LUT to apply to everything ( overlay excepted).

Theatertek using EVR works fine with the curve in powerstrip.

Media center resets it.

Total Media theater resets it.

However VE works for all three.

I'm currently wrestling with powerstrip, CCC, media centre and now video equalizer . CCC is a strong candidate for getting uninstalled if it doesn't disable avivo hardware functionality.

·
Registered
3,314 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.D /forum/post/14188487

I

However VE works for all three.

I take it back VE does not apply to TMT. It applies to the gui but not playback.

Its probably not going to be of much use to me.

·
Registered
2,076 Posts
I am going to try this this weekend.........got a new screen for the PJ so got to setup the G70 all over again.

the problem is...I'm doing 720p.........any chance this can be resized from the 1080p??

·
Registered
2,076 Posts
OK, I just tested VE on my laptop.

MAN ! this is Awesome! This is exactly what I have been looking for.

I do have some issues:

1. Upon reboot the LUT is lost. How do I make it stick?

Use Gammaloader.exe? I tried it but it gives me this error:

C:\\Users\\Rajiv\\Downloads\\VideoEqualizer>GammaLoader laptop.lut
Error opening file!

Is my syntax right ?

2. The points on the graphs should be movable by using a keyboard, please!

Keep up the good work! This is very nice.

Now I have to test whether this applies to Vista Media center and PowerDVD.

·
Registered
2,076 Posts
ok, I got gammaloader working!

My syntax was right....i guess my laptop needed a reboot.

So the proposed solution is to load the LUT at system startup, using gammaloader, right?

A simple batch file will do it.

Man! I sure am excited........gotta try it out on the plasma ASAP........it as a REALLY strange gamma curve but virtual flat greyscale (after my calibration).

This should help my G70 CRT PJ too.

Good work ! JUST what I needed!

Cant thank you enough.

·
Registered
50 Posts
I looked at some curves applied to the LUT and

DON'T USE POWERSTRIP TO MANAGE THE CURVES!!!

It screws them up creating stair steps in otherwise smooth curves.

·
Registered
3,314 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by David_Web /forum/post/14381831

I looked at some curves applied to the LUT and

DON'T USE POWERSTRIP TO MANAGE THE CURVES!!!

It screws them up creating stair steps in otherwise smooth curves.

Can't see how powerstrip would do anything to the actual curve. The curve representation in powerstrip ( and everything else to be honest) is just a low res approximation of the curve. s the stairstepping you are seeing just aliasing on the depiction of the curve?

Is the actual effects of the curve different if you engage it through powerstrip rather than using another method? Its not any different in my experience.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Well Ill let you do the judging then.

The smooth curve is applied by Argyll CMS directly.

The other curve is captured by Powerstrip and applied.

Also Powerstrip does not apply the correct values when resetting.

·
Registered
3,314 Posts
Hmm curious . It does look like a resolution issue with the curve in powerstrip.

I wonder if its dropping control points. Have you tried it with a fairly low resolution curve and see if it makes a difference then.

·
Registered
50 Posts
The LUT itself (or gamma curve depending on what you want to call it) is 16bit integer values as far as windows goes.

There really is no 'control points' just a 256 position 16bit look up table.

Powerstrip probably does some scaling as it reset the value for 255 to 65280 instead of 65535 (16bit int)

*edit*

Added a simpler curve created by VideoEqualizer

The other curve is captured by Powerstrip and applied.

·
Registered
2,076 Posts
Hey Nils,

Can you PLEASE add the ability to resize the window of VE ?

my HT is at 720p and the lower portion is cut off....Hence I cant make adjustments at that end.

please, please please !!! :)

·
Registered
2,099 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by FoLLgoTT /forum/post/14200362

Yes, this is because PowerDVD and Total Media Theater use overlay instead of VMR9 or EVR even under Vista.

So, is there any way to create and apply a colour calibration LUT for PowerDVD playback to a VGA monitor?

I can do this with a Spyder2 for the desktop, but I'm getting completely confused by this thread on how to do it with VE (or other utility) for video playback software.

Exactly how does PowerDVD, for example, manage to bypass an LUT that is loaded when windows boots: I thought it would affect all analogue output from the graphics card?

·
Registered
2,076 Posts
Thanks Nils!

I tested it, works fine.

BTW, I have been playing around with another free CMS utility....Argyll. That works nicely too. It automatically makes a calibration file which then can be applied to the monitor.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FoLLgoTT /forum/post/14430709

UPDATE: VideoEqualizer is now resizable and should fit into 720p displays. The file has been updated in the first post.

41 - 60 of 90 Posts