AVS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

recently I bought a Videoforge HDMI which is utilized for Calman SDR calibration of an LG OLED TV (C8), including Autocal. For HDR calibration I bought a HDFury Integral. Thanks to the thread here I was able to calibrate Dolby Vision with some success, though I am sill learning.
Now I want to calibrate HDR10 on my LG. I followed the explanations Spectracal provided on their homepage, using the Integral API, not the AVTopController approach. I set everything up and in SDR mode I can see the pattern generated by the Videoforge, see picture.

But when I choose HDR from the HDFury Source menu in order to switch my TV into HDR/BT2020 mode, it does so, but the pattern is not seen anymore. Instead the screen remains black until I switch to SDR again.

I have photographs of the HDFury/Calman settings attached. Also, I played around with different settings with no success at all. Does anyone have hints for me?

Thanks, Robert

Attachments

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
Try this: while HDFury is connected as a Source in CalMAN select HDR10 in the HDR field, then disconnect the HDFury and connect VideoForge. Obviously VideoForge should be connected to the upper input port of the HDFury and the TV to the upper output port. Let me know.

EDIT: I think the HDFury Integral should be on FIXED EDID and HDR/HLG selected.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi,

thanks for your input. I tried out what you suggested, unfortunatly with no success. Does anyone have more ideas?

Thanks

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
As soon as possible I'll try on my set.

·
Registered
4,950 Posts
The Integral GUI shows that you're allowing YCbCr. Do make sure you're sending RGB, not YCbCr. Only 1 pattern generator can currently do YCbCr for HDR (the math is completely different from SDR), and it isn't the VideoForge. Even the Integral won't change this.

Also, don't use the GUI AND CalMAN to control the Integral. Use one or the other, not both. I highly suggest you search the CalMAN site for guides on HDR calibration for more information - your settings are wrong somewhere.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the input. I tried with „Allow YCbCr“ disabled with no success, I am still getting a black screen, where the pattern should be. To make sure my Videoforge outputs RGB I switched it to RGB_8.
Actually, during my attemts, I do not use Calman and the GUI in parallel, this was just for showing my settings. I agree, my settings must be wrong, but I habe no idea which one(s).

Any suggestion? Thanks. Robert

·
Registered
1,000 Posts

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
...okay, got the linker today and it worked out of the box. Don´t know, what´s the issue with my integral ...

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
Mmm strange thing... i don’t remember if you were running your tv at 1920x1080 while feeding it with 1080p patterns

·
Registered
7,374 Posts
It is just that your CUSTOM AVI string is wrong ! if you read the manual, it's written, that users must be careful playing with CUSTOM AVI, since wrong values = black screen.
The default CUSTOM AVI value for latest firmware (and since a while) is: 60:c8:60:61:00:00:00:00:00:00:00:00:00
Which is exactly provided as an example on the Windows GUI as you can see from your screenshot, now check the value you have there... so simply correct it to correct value and no more blackscreen.

PS: And use custom EDID 2, so you do not limit anything at source side. Custom EDID 2 = Full Video / Full Audio.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
It is just that your CUSTOM AVI string is wrong ! if you read the manual, it's written, that users must be careful playing with CUSTOM AVI, since wrong values = black screen.
The default CUSTOM AVI value for latest firmware (and since a while) is: 60:c8:60:61:00:00:00:00:00:00:00:00:00
Which is exactly provided as an example on the Windows GUI as you can see from your screenshot, now check the value you have there... so simply correct it to correct value and no more blackscreen.

PS: And use custom EDID 2, so you do not limit anything at source side. Custom EDID 2 = Full Video / Full Audio.
Thanks for the answer. The AVI string I use is the one Calman provides in order to prepare the TV for calibration of HDR10. So I do not just play but follow the instructions Calman provides. As far as I know, my pattern source must output RGB in order to enable Calman to to its job. I already tested the one you provide but it does not work with RGB as the colors are wrong (as expected):

Attachments

·
Registered
7,374 Posts
Thanks for the answer. The AVI string I use is the one Calman provides in order to prepare the TV for calibration of HDR10. So I do not just play but follow the instructions Calman provides. As far as I know, my pattern source must output RGB in order to enable Calman to to its job. I already tested the one you provide but it does not work with RGB as the colors are wrong (as expected):
I'm not sure I'm following and unfortunately i don't know much about calman requirements or tricks to "prepare the tv".
But I know that if you want BT2020 for HDR10 content, then AVI string must match.
I'm not sure how a display could enter HDR mode if you don't send BT2020 colorspace.

If you give me a link to this guide I can prolly find out.
Because on that link: http://www.spectracal.com/Documents/QSGs/HDfury Integral QuickStart.pdf
There is no where recommended to put integral custom AVI as RGB, actually, the screenshot on this guide show the default BT2020 value as I pointed previously.

Now may be you are trying to do something with Dolby Vision ? then it's a whole different story and have nothing to do with classic HDR.

·
Registered
588 Posts
I have to say that I have exactly the same problem now with my LG C8 The AVI infoframes CalMAN provided for my LG E6 worked well and now I have a black screen.

These are the infoframes CalMAN created for my TPG which is running in RGB Mode

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I'm not sure I'm following and unfortunately i don't know much about calman requirements or tricks to "prepare the tv".
But I know that if you want BT2020 for HDR10 content, then AVI string must match.
I'm not sure how a display could enter HDR mode if you don't send BT2020 colorspace.

If you give me a link to this guide I can prolly find out.
Because on that link: http://www.spectracal.com/Documents/QSGs/HDfury Integral QuickStart.pdf
There is no where recommended to put integral custom AVI as RGB, actually, the screenshot on this guide show the default BT2020 value as I pointed previously.

Now may be you are trying to do something with Dolby Vision ? then it's a whole different story and have nothing to do with classic HDR.
When I follow the guide you referred to here, in which Calman uses the HDFury API to directly control the Fury. I am getting the black screen too. So I followed the second approach Calman describes here: http://www.spectracal.com/Documents/QSGs/HDfury Integral AVTOP QuickStart.pdf Within this workflow, Calman requires to copy the AVI IF I mentioned earlier into the Integral GUI. When I send it, the TV goes to BT.2020 but is black, too. So I think both approaches end the Fury and the TV beeing in the same state. I donˋt do anything regarding DV ATM, but I know how this works thanks to this forum here.

·
Registered
588 Posts
When I uncheck replace Avi I can see the pattern but I'm not sending BT2020 which is a big problem for me

I can get the TV into HDR BT2020 but then I get only black display.

Reactions: robbeh81

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I have to say that I have exactly the same problem now with my LG C8 The AVI infoframes CalMAN provided for my LG E6 worked well and now I have a black screen.

These are the infoframes CalMAN created for my TPG which is running in RGB Mode

You are describing exactly the problem I have. Puh.

Attachments

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Hey guys,

Are you using the latest firmware (10 April 2018) for Integral?
I can confirm that it does not work with the latest firmware and nor for the firmware level before. Also the latest C8-Firmware does not fix the problem.

·
Registered
588 Posts
So we just need the correct AVI Infoframes but I don't know how.

Yes I'm using the latest firmware.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts