AVS Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
653 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I just bought my nice big 63" plasma, I'm in need of some nicer speakers than what came with my Onkyo Theater in a Box.

I'm in no way an audiophile, but would like some suggestions on a matched 5.1 speaker set that has the best bang for the buck. Budget is low...really low, lol...just something better than the little speakers I have.

even a little rating system for lower end but nice sounding speakers would be nice, then I can go from there.

·
Registered
653 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
budget....depends on what pricing is...i don't need $1000 speakers...just an upgrade...the Onkyo is the HT-S590...i didn't say what it was before because i was at work and wasn't in front of the system...

i'm hoping to keep budget around 5 bills for the 6 speakers including sub

not looking for KEFs, or what have you, (unless they have low end sets under 500, lol) and honestly...I'm not really versed in the audio side of things....even though I am a professional video engineer...we have guys for the audio, lol...

·
Registered
29,113 Posts
The Celestions look like a bargain. I'm not familiar with them though.

There are some Jamo S403 bookshelf speakers on ebay. WWStereo.com had them for $99/pr during the black friday sale. Its over now though. Still $119/pr with free shipping isn't bad. Get two pairs.
http://cgi.ebay.com/JAMO-C-403-2-WAY...item414d829d93

Matching C400 center on sale at vanns.com
http://www.vanns.com/shop/servlet/it..._c=site_search

This is provided cherry/dark apple color works for you. So two pairs of C403s and one C400 would run you $310 shipped. Then add whatever subwoofer you want with the rest.

Also Polk Monitor speakers are always on sale at Newegg.com

·
Registered
653 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
thanks for the help, this is why I asked, I haven't heard of a couple of those brands...

·
Registered
653 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
what do you think about this setup?

Klipsch S426 Jamo Floor Standing 5 Speaker System, ebay for 4 bills...need matching sub though....SUB200 for another 2 bills will keep me around my target...

i figure standing fronts would be better than bookshelf speakers due to having more room for the sound to move around....

1 - 9 of 9 Posts