AVS Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have found a videowall with Samsung SAMSUNG 460ux-2 screens, nine of them, for the sum of 3800 USD plus some shipping (not a lot of shipping, comparatively). It uses 2700 Watts together and could heat the house quite nicely while I gawk at it. New price 3 years ago was 15 000 USD. The guy don't want to go lower in price, yet.
Here's a video (not taken by me, nor the seller, just something I found on youtube)
Its a Norwegian site advertising it. http://www.finn.no/finn/torget/anno...gh=true&searchQuery=VIDEOVEGG SAMSUNG 460ux-2
I have made some arguments and counter-arguments between this and a 4 grand self-built 130db two tower stereo, they'd both use heaps of power when in use, less so with the stereo since I can't listen to full volume for long periods at a time (so that's a point to the stereo). A drawback of the stereo which makes a point to the wall, is that I don't go blind from watching too large screens, whereas I do go deaf from listening to a too loud stereo for too long. A point to the wall is that I could throw out most of my ovens and heat the house purely from these, and what a wonderful looking oven these things are (could be a looping video from my favorite view in the world). Another point towards the wall is that when I move in somewhere new, the neighbors are not going to go mental if I drag in nine screens, but nine huge speakers is another matter. A point against both options is that these are two really idiotic things to spend money on, instead I can help further the research into breaking up extracellular aggregates (one of seven aspects of aging). Or the research involved in the WILT program, intended to cure cancer completely. But a point towards the wall is that its shiny. And the stereo gets a point for just being a loud thing that is loud. Decisions decisions. :D

PS: Not sure what international shipping would be, not actually expecting any of the non-scandinavian people to buy it.

·
Registered
1,183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

·
Registered
12,914 Posts
a JVC 4910 projector can be purchased for just about the same price --- the 4910 doesn't have lines running through it.

I can see the appeal for setup like that for PC gaming --- where the resolution scales - the resolution would be 5760 x 3240 and so playing something like the PC based Call of Duty and setting the graphics card option to the proper setting you would see what most people see on the center screen, but the other 8 screen would be extra game content that your competitors can't see -- IE you could see your opponent in every direction before they saw you ------ but not for a home theater where your content is actually only 1080p to start with and there is no resolution benefit --- and only detriment in all the LCD plastic panel bars.

If that doesn't make sense watch this video starting about 7:00 and see how the center screen is all most people would see --- but since he has three monitors he can see more on the left right.
https://youtu.be/RWG8smZzT90?t=6m57s

With 9 monitors you'd see more on every side for PC gaming.

·
Registered
1,183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
a JVC 4910 projector can be purchased for just about the same price --- the 4910 doesn't have lines running through it.

I can see the appeal for setup like that for PC gaming --- where the resolution scales - the resolution would be 5760 x 3240 and so playing something like the PC based Call of Duty and setting the graphics card option to the proper setting you would see what most people see on the center screen, but the other 8 screen would be extra game content that your competitors can't see -- IE you could see your opponent in every direction before they saw you ------ but not for a home theater where your content is actually only 1080p to start with and there is no resolution benefit --- and only detriment in all the LCD plastic panel bars.

If that doesn't make sense watch this video starting about 7:00 and see how the center screen is all most people would see --- but since he has three monitors he can see more on the left right.
https://youtu.be/RWG8smZzT90?t=6m57s

With 9 monitors you'd see more on every side for PC gaming.
Well, you'd see more in games if you can turn up the field of view. Field of view is automatically turned up if you use odd aspect ratios, like 3 screens side by side, but with 9 screens in a 3 by 3 they'd still have the same aspect ratio, so without any FOV adjustment you'd still see the same amount. But you'd be able to aim at the target which takes up nine times the amount pixels on your screen, so you can be more accurate and have more information (as long as you don't sit too far away).

·
Registered
1,183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I don't agree.

FOV will make a fish bowl type view if you try changing it with out the accompanying resolution of extra displays.
... Nothing I said counter-argues this. If you have 1080p or 3x1080p in 16:9 aspect ratio, both will be the same FOV in games if left alone. When you use 3 screens however, just 1080p with three times wider screen, your game automatically adjusts FOV up (if it supports eyefinity/nvidia surround). To use the extra screens in a 9 screen wall to the same effect as 3 side-by-side screens, you need to manually adjust the FOV up. Then the center screen is the normal view, and the 8 other screens show you something you wouldn't have seen with just 1 screen.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts