AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After successfully hacking my Showstopper with a new 120G drive (the procedure couldn't have been easier, thanks guys!), I left the old drive with my recorded shows in my computer to try my hand at desktop video. My goal was to compress these files (especially as I typically record in medium).

I first extracted an Mpeg with extract_rtv.

Looking through the old posts on this forum, it looked like I'd have problems converting that mpeg2 file into other formats because of the nonstandard audio sampling rate.

XMpeg was hard to understand and use, and gave me some errors on the audio. But when I tried the latest version of Vidomi ( www.vidomi.com ), it was as easy as pie. I selected the DivX 5 codec. Then I set the source file, then the output file, and away it went. I cropped a little bit within the program to get rid of the garbage on top and on the right of the image. But no messing with sampling rates at all. Deinterlaces and all. Output files runs great in Windows Media Player.

Awesome!

I havn't tried editing yet. Can I edit the DivX file itself to cut out the commercials?

·
Registered
1,023 Posts
It's a lot easier to stay in the mpeg-2 realm. For one thing you can make DVD's or even MiniDVDs that will play on "some" stand alone DVD players. There is editing software out there that you can use that's specifically made for Mpeg editng.

For me to take a medium format ReplayTV and edit out all commercials, (and change the audio at the same time) AND burn the disc, involves about 15 to 20 minutes total. (that includes the time burning the disc)

How long does it take Vidomi to transcode your medium one hour show to Divx? To get the best possible rendering you'll want to use the 2-pass option. The result will be quite good .. yielding a final file size that will fit the whole one hour onto a single 700 mb CDR.

BUT .. this will only play back on a computer, and that computer needs to have a Divx playback program. AND based on my experience with Vidomi, you'll be looking at 2 to 3 "hours" of transcoding time.

If you are serious about archiving lots of programs (I do several of my favorite Sci-fi flicks every week) going the Divx route will be extremely time consuming. But may be okay if you only intend to do it occassionally and don't mind having to use your computer to also view it.

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Rich,

It took about 50 minutes to encode a 27 minute Seinfeld show (one pass, I'm experimenting with 2 pass right now). The final size was a little over 200 megabytes, compared to 950 megabytes for the MPEG2 version extracted from my Replay drive.

I figure if I get the size down just a bit more, I can squeeze 4 episodes on to a singled CDR, as opposed to 2 if I transcoded to VCD format, which I understand allows about 70 minutes on a CDR.

Having less discs is more convenient for me; I intend to compress only occasionally.

I found out, incidently, that you can do basic cuts within Vidomi, which is practically all I need to get rid of the commercial in the beginning (I pad the shows by one minute). I'll demo some of the MPEG editors to see what else is out there, though.

VB1, I don't use SwapDV. Just extract_rtv and Vidomi.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I am trying to make a standard DVD for a DVD player. Does extract_rtv create the correct format. At first look vidomi seems to a computer storage and playback system.

VB1

·
Registered
535 Posts
I don't have a need to archive programming (I can get absolutely everything of the web (and that's without 4k or minus 1k in my checking). However occasionally I need to save an episode or two. I don't have much preference over it being avi or mpeg1 or mpeg2, however avi takes less space ...

Not a bad idea. Whoever said that divx ca not be -played on anything other than PC , are wrong - they play them on handhelds, and on Dreamcast, granted the quality sucks. Oh, and TMPGenc does as good job as vidomi, I am pretty sure - you'll be able to eliminate errors openning files, by changing the priority of different environment settings in it, PM me if you need more info on that.

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well, having some problems today. I was using the Divx5 standard installation, then I downloaded the 5.01 Pro version with ads to see if I like it enough to buy the full version.

Unfortunately, Vidomi is giving me "Encoder Failed to Initialize Properly" error. Anyone have any experience?

TMPGenc seems to create only MPEG1 output. How do you get it to encode DivX files?

·
Registered
20 Posts
I have tried using Vidomi to compress my replaytv MPEGs that I transfered using SwapDV, however it bombs out on me about 40% thru the conversion. The best luck I have had is to use Xmpeg 4.5 to convert the mpeg, it seems to handle any audio problems all by itself, where other programs crap out.

I usually convert it to Divx 5.0 format for editing. Divx 5.01 still has problems and doesn't open properly in a few editors.

Once I have it converted, I cut the commercials out using Vegas Video.

I'm hoping swapDV will add support to transfer the Mpeg from the Replay right to Divx, convert on the fly. The save as PC Mpeg option still does not output a proper Mpeg2 file.

The Replay Mpegs are too finiky, sometimes the audio is good, sometimes its not....

·
Registered
535 Posts
Sorry - for divx- you'll need to use Virtual Dub, or frameserve into vtirtual dub from other programs. There is no problem with 30 days mpeg2 limitation , sicen there is a new version of TMPGenc out at about this time.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.