AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,346 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have room space limitations so I've been trying to find speakers (sat/bookshelf) that sound great and are thin. Good luck, I know. I have heard great things about the CBM170s but they are just too thick for my room setup. So I've been listening to the sat systems from KEF, NHT, BA and a few others and just have not been happy. I guess my years as a Bose AM7 owner have finally caught up to me. ;) The only ones I haven't heard that I want to are Rocket and Energy, but it's impossible to find a B&M store that carries them). I guess I could do the order/return method...

I went to Harvey's and heard the Vienna Acoustic Schonberg series (specifically the Webern and Berg models) I have to say this setup is the most amazing I have ever heard from a bookshelf system. You can even get away wihout a sub if you use the Weberns, but you definintely need one if you use the Bergs. There are floorstanders available as well but I didn't listen to them as I can't fit them.

Anyway, the size is *perfect* at 3.5" deep, and the fact that they recommend wall mounting is the closer for me. The only issue I have is the price... Bergs are about $990/pr and the Weberns are about $1400/pr. However, since I won't need a sub (at least for now) I can get away with front r/l weberns, rear rl/ bergs and a berg center. That comes to $2,900. NOT cheap, but then again the sound was fantastic for the size. Anyone have this setup that can comment?

By the way, the sizes are:

Berg: 10.5"Wx8.5"Hx3.5"D

Webern: 10.5"Wx19.7"Hx3.5"D

·
Registered
3,681 Posts
I have 3 Weberns across the front. The more I listen to them, the more I like them. The wall mounts are an extra $75 each.

I currently am using an old pair of paradigm 40 v2s for the back speakers. I eventually will get Vienna waltz for the backs, and possibly the sides, but have bigger fish to fry right now. As for not having a sub, I have a Genesis 900 sub, and find it essential for HT.

·
Registered
1,346 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
swampfox - where did you buy yours? One of the things that I'd liek to avoid is the tax here in NYC. I don't think you can buy Vienna online, but I wonder if I could order from the B&M store you bought them from and avoid the tax (that is of course assuming you don't live in NY ;)

I may really bite down hard and get the full set, e.g., 3 weberns for the front and 2 bergs in the rear. As for the sub, I heard the weberns and for me (the living room in my apt is 12x12) I'll be fine w/o one at least for the time being. Still, that's (3 x $700) + (2 x $425) = $2,950 w/o tax. In reality I could also go full bergs w/ a sub, which would be almost the same at 5 x $425) + sub (~$700) = $2,825 w/o tax. But I think the sound quatlity of 3 webs in front is richer than 3 bergs and a sub, and I can always add the sub later.

The final option would be 3 webs front and 2 sat's in back, e.g., KEF. However I think if I'm going to get wet, I may as well dive in and get full Vienna. The difference between 2 bergs and a sat rear like KEF is probably just a couple hundred $.

nhparrot - I took a look at the ACI's. Great suggestion. I'd need to hear them first, though so I'll have to call around. Are they sold in B&M stores? I like the fact that they can be ordered online to avoid the tax. The look is nice with the wood, although I still like the look of the Vienna a bit better. But the price is nice at $700/pr...I'd just need to hear them first.

·
Registered
1,003 Posts
I auditoned the Weberns at Magnolia HiFI today, they were pretty nice.

Originally went there looking for the DefTech Mythos, they had a sample...

but nothing to listen to.

·
Registered
1,346 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
What I like about them is that they have a nice tonal range for their size. Alot of speakers I've heard in the same size category tend to be really flat with alot of mid punch. Not to say that is bad or good...just that I prefer a bit more sharpness on the high end which the webs had.

·
Registered
1,193 Posts
I'm on the verge of getting the Weberns for front L/R (and maybe center) I've done 3 long auditions and really loved them - very open and transparent without a touch of excessive brightness.

Can't say I felt the same about the Bergs. For reasons I can't explain, they have consistently had an edgy-ness that was not bright, really, just a little rough sounding. Supposedly the same drivers as the Weberns, so go figure.

·
Registered
1,346 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Nice pic swamp. Everything you said in that post is exactly where I'm coming from. I have a chair that needs to be against the wall and close to the plasma, so I just don't have room for floorstanders.

Can you post a new one of your current setup with the center webby? :) The only difference for me is that I'll probably use the black mesh covers to "attempt" to blend them in a bit.

·
Registered
512 Posts
Well, I've listened to Vienna speakers quite a bit and, at one point, was very close to buying some. The ones that I listened to were floor standing models so I'm not sure how closely they sound to their bookshelf or wall mountable cousins. I also use the aforementioned ACI on-wall Emeralds as my surround speakers. Vienna speakers, imo, are extremely non-fatiguing and really quite beautiful to look at and listen to. I prefer the ACI's because of their more neutral sonic characteristics and their more revealing nature. I was surprised at how well the Emeralds held up with their big brothers, the Sapphires and the Essence center channel. In fact, I couldn't believe how good they sounded for wall mounted speakers. They are down firing and need space beneath them to function optimally though.

Sounds like you really liked the speakers you heard though, so, by all means audition them further. I found their sound on certain recordings to be quite seductive, if I can use that term. You just wanted to sit back and listen more and more.

Although I prefer the ACI's, I know I'd be very happy owning Vienna speakers and would put them above the vast majority of speakers I've auditioned at B & M stores. Of course, it goes without saying that this only reflects my own personal tastes.

·
Registered
360 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by cschang
goombawa,

ACI is another net direct company. You will need to find someone that has them for a listen.
Or you can order a pair and listen in your own home. They have a no question 30 day return policy.

·
Registered
3,681 Posts
This picture shows an overall feel for the room, and should explain why I wanted on wall. This is not going to be the HT, just the family room with a reasonable set-up. I plan on a dedicated HT down the road.

·
Registered
3,681 Posts
Here is a close-up. The equipment is off to the left, 'behind curtain number 1'. We are trying to find a cabinet shop that will install doors, trim, and the equipmnent rack.

·
Registered
1,003 Posts
Swampfox,

I'm thinking of getting these apeakers,

could you post a photo with the speaker grills on?

Thanks

·
Registered
1,346 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Forget about the speakers. Can I move in? Nice place...hardly what I expected from a handle with "swamp" in the name. ;)

Thanks for the pics. I think I'm convinced 3 webs/2 bergs is my destiny. I just need to get my plasma in first....50phd6uy or 503cmx (still struggling with that one). Once it is in I'll head (relcutantly) down to Harvey's and pay the [email protected]% tax.

What receiver are you using? I also need to upgrade that as well and have narrowed it to Denon or Harmon Kardon...and maybe the Sony STRDA1000ES.

·
Registered
3,681 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by goombawa
Forget about the speakers. Can I move in? Nice place...hardly what I expected from a handle with "swamp" in the name. ;)

What receiver are you using? I also need to upgrade that as well and have narrowed it to Denon or Harmon Kardon...and maybe the Sony STRDA1000ES.
I guess the emphasis should be on the 'fox' :p

I use a Lex MC1 and ATI 2505.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.