AVS Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My father in law is asking me this question...

"Need some input Rob ... on whether to go for G10 or S1 Model ...

...check it out and let me know what you think??

I'd appreciate your opinion ... some of the forums I've looked at just make me wonder???"

The price difference seems to be around $200 to $300 dollars.

Some main differences are:

- aspect control has 7 modes instead of 5 in the S1

- G10 has THX Mode

- G10 has 3D color management

- G10 has PC input / mini D-sub 15 pin

- G10 also provides analog Audio output again

- G10 has VIERA CAST ???

I am a Panasonic Viera owner, but I have the PX60U, a model I bought back in 2006, so I am not up to spec with the new generations.

Can anyone reccommend one of these two and why?

·
Registered
91 Posts
hey redwolf, imho it all depends on what your dad would feel about the features, the g10 comes with a few more picture controls, like color temp and such, would your dad be adjusting these? plus, is he a novice veiwer or a hardcore viewer? a novice viewer probably wont notice the differences between the two where as a hardcore viewer will. as for viera cast, as of right now it doesnt have a ton of features and thats another feature that i would ask your dad, if he would use it or not. but the g10 does offer firmware updates via the ethernet port, the s1 you have to use a usb drive.

ask your dad about these extra features and if they are worth the extra 200 - 300 to him, that would be the price of a decent bd player if he doesnt already have one

·
Registered
538 Posts
I just went through the exact same thing.

I ended up with a 54G10. The deciding factor was the fact that, where I went, the price difference was only $100. I figured that for a measly C-note, over the life of the TV, it'd be nice to have a few extra features.

THX mode is nice. Dark but nice. And having more 'user menu' picture settings is definitely a plus for people trying to get good PQ without getting into the service menu.

Now, would I have spent an extra $300 over an S1? Probably not. But that's just me being cheap...

Ultimately, the S1 and the G10 are both very good TVs. You really can't go wrong either way.

·
Banned
2,435 Posts
I think there is an actual step-up in PQ with the G10's, not just some extra gizmos and features. I don't think the PQ is identical on both, and reviews seem to back this up. CNET said the blacks were deeper on the G10 vs. the S1, for instance.

Someone correct me if I am mistaken, but I believe you can get the Viera Cast type of features on a sub $200 BD player from Panasonic, which is essentially free right now because of a $200 rebate offer (exp. 8/15) on the S1/G10/G15/V10/Z1 models when you buy a HTIB or Blu Ray. So if you feel the PQ difference is not really worth it, you could possibly go with the S1, and then get Viera Cast and other gizmos on the Blu Ray player instead of with the G10 TV.

·
Registered
3,948 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by redwolf4k /forum/post/16955577

My father in law is asking me this question...

"Need some input Rob ... on whether to go for G10 or S1 Model ...

...check it out and let me know what you think??

Might say "Look pops, I took your daughter off your hands for you and now you want me to be your research boy?

With your old eyes, you won't see any difference between the sets anyway. Whichever one I recommend, you'll complain about my recommendation every time I come over.

If I say get the expensive one, you'll complain that you could have saved money on the other one, and not noticed a difference. If I say go cheap, you'll constantly remind me that you sure wish you'd spent the extra bucks for a better set.

In the end, it will cause strife in my marriage and we'll get divorced. The wife and kids will move back in with you and the only thing the fancy new tv will be used for is Spongebob Square Pants reruns anyway.

Geez, I'm glad you asked!"

1 - 5 of 5 Posts