AVS Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
525 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can anyone watch multiple blu-ray rips from a server via HTPCs? I have 1 server with an Areca 1231ML and Seagate 1TB drives. I also have 2 HTPCs that connect to the server. I can watch 2 different DVD's at once, even 1 DVD and 1 Blu-Ray via the two machines, but when I try 2 Blu-rays the playback is choppy and skips. Any advice or am I SOL?

·
Registered
1,225 Posts
I can stream 2 Blu-ray ISO's at the same time without any problems from an ARC-1260 with XP x64 on the server. What's your network saturation and server CPU utilization like when you have problems? Both clients get choppy?

·
Registered
388 Posts
You really shouldn't be having problems. BluRay needs about 40 megabits per stream which might tax a Fast Ethernet connection, but should be simple with Gigabit. Are you using Gigabit? If you are using Gigabit make sure that all of your network devices (boards, cards, hubs, routers) support Jumbo frames. Having issues with that could cause some stuttering.

·
Registered
525 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Not using gigabit, just 100mbit, due to limitations of my apartment...its all going through an old WRT54G router... I am planning on building a router and using pfSense.

Would defraging the raid array do anything to improve performance? I have read yes and no.

·
Registered
388 Posts
Two BluRay streams are going to push Fast Ethernet to it's limit. Test your system by downloading a large file from the same location. If you don't get at least 10 megabytes of data moved each second the connection is the problem.

I doubt that defragging would help. Fast Ethernet is still a pretty slow connection. Well, unless you are using an old computer with 5 year old IDE drives for access. If that is what is going on than a defrag could help. As a reference, my hard drive can output a consistent 90 megabytes per second.

·
Registered
3,764 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigZAJ /forum/post/15554079

Not using gigabit, just 100mbit, due to limitations of my apartment...its all going through an old WRT54G router... I am planning on building a router and using pfSense.

Why don't you just buy an inexpensive gigabit switch and plug it in between the router and the computers? Even as a temporary measure, it's still pretty cheap. Some 5-port gigabit switches can be had for $20.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts