AVS Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm a current MiniDV camcorder user filming family events. Currently, if we want to watch a video from let's say a year ago, I insert that MiniDV tape into the camcorder and watch it on the high definition big screen TV.

Now that I'm looking to purchasing a hard drive high definition camcorder, I'm not sure how to view "archived" videos on the big screen TV. Let's say that when the camcorder hard drive fills up, I transfer the video files to my computer hard drive. Now I'm sure I could watch the videos on the PC, but let's say relatives come over and want to watch videos from last year. I would hate to have them hover over a PC monitor to view the videos. In this situation, the videos are stored on the PC which is not accessible by the big screen TV. Do I just transfer the video files back to the camcorder so it can be played back on the big screen TV?

How would you handle this situation? Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
43 Posts
The 2010 Sony's have a feature called Direct Copy where you can copy your videos to an external harddrive without using a computer. While the external harddrive is connected to the camcorder you can also watch the videos from the external harddrive through the camcorder to your TV.

I haven't tried this yet. In fact I only just now ordered a HDR-CX300, a 1.5TB external harddrive, and the adapter cable to plug the two together. I'll use a 250GB external HD I already have for the camcorder for now. The 1.5TB HD will be my backup for the videos as well as backup for the other computers in the house. I certainly wouldn't trust my home videos to one external HD. Down the road I'll get another bigger external HD for backup and use the 1.5TB for videos. I'll post my results in another thread I started about SONY Direct Copy.

I am unsure if other camcorder makers also have a similar feature. You might want to do some research into that.

Good luck.

·
Registered
936 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by champ.49er /forum/post/18306991

I'm a current MiniDV camcorder user filming family events. Currently, if we want to watch a video from let's say a year ago, I insert that MiniDV tape into the camcorder and watch it on the high definition big screen TV.

Now that I'm looking to purchasing a hard drive high definition camcorder, I'm not sure how to view "archived" videos on the big screen TV. Let's say that when the camcorder hard drive fills up, I transfer the video files to my computer hard drive. Now I'm sure I could watch the videos on the PC, but let's say relatives come over and want to watch videos from last year. I would hate to have them hover over a PC monitor to view the videos. In this situation, the videos are stored on the PC which is not accessible by the big screen TV. Do I just transfer the video files back to the camcorder so it can be played back on the big screen TV?

How would you handle this situation? Thanks in advance.

Possibly the two most common approaches:

1. Put the video clips onto a USB hard drive (now quite cheap) and play them to the HDTV through a playback device like the Western Digital Media Player or a general device like a Sony PlayStation 3.

2. Stream the video to your TV through a wireless network (not sure about the components you need beyond the PC).

I've also heard that some people structure the data so they can hook it up to the camcorder, have the camcorder access it, and then the camcorder routes it through to the TV.

The biggest conceptual change is to make sure you have all your video as digital files on your PC and preferably elsewhere as a backup. If you do that automatically (two copies), then either approach above comes along as a natural outgrowth of that.

I personally don't keep any copies of video on the original media they're recorded on. People did that with MiniDV tapes all the time. But when you've really gone fully digital, no copy is any better than any other copy, so there's no benefit to setting a tape or memory chip aside. It becomes expensive compared to having one or more hard drives that contain all your video.

Similarly, I suspect disks as storage are eventually doomed. For trading with your friends, maybe. But even there, look what happened with thumb drives. When they first came out, they were really expensive and you certainly wouldn't put something small on them and give them friends. Now you can buy them like candy as you go through the checkpoint counter, and the small ones can hold a DVD's worth of data.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Gull /forum/post/18307583

Possibly the two most common approaches:

1. Put the video clips onto a USB hard drive (now quite cheap) and play them to the HDTV through a playback device like the Western Digital Media Player or a general device like a Sony PlayStation 3.

Hmmm... I do have a Panasonic Blu-ray player that plays video via SDHC in AVCHD format. Maybe I should be looking at a flash based camcorder instead where I can just use an SDHC to put the video clips and play them to the HDTV. Thoughts?

·
Registered
163 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ayeaux /forum/post/18307555

I am unsure if other camcorder makers also have a similar feature. You might want to do some research into that.

Good luck.

The Sanyo HD2000/FH1 already has this function where you can transfer the videos to an external HDD without a PC. You can then view these videos on your HDTV via the USB connection in a media player. But best to have a test video to check that the media player can handle the video format without any problems.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts