AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Getting ready to purchase a Mit 73713. It is the big fella. The center of the screen is close to 47" above the floor. I want to install it on a 14" platform which would put the center at 61" off the floor. Would this be to high to view from a sofa 15' from the screen. I sometimes lie down on the sofa to watch which would put me at about 30" off the floor.

·
Registered
1,304 Posts
Most every consumer rear projection TV, irrespective of the technology ( CRT, DLP,Lcos, LCD ) uses a Fresnel-Lenticular screen. This is a two sided lens that spreads the image out and then focuses it on the center of the screen. The end result is that the image displayed will look its best when the midpoint of the screen is at seated eye level. Off axis viewing, whether from the sides or from above or below will reduce the brightness and the clarity of the image.

Putting the TV 61" off the floor is too high. I would do without the platform.

Alan

·
Registered
13,771 Posts
Alan is 100% correct. The TV will not look nearly as good as it can at that height.

And by the way, make sure you immediately turn the contrast and brightness on the set down to at least half. Maybe less. The factory default settings will be way too hot and that can cause burn on the CRTs.

After 3 or 4 months, get it ISF calibrated. The 73" mits is the Holy Grail of RPTV's and once properly calibrated with a color decoder fix (the Mits red level is way too high) it will be as jaw dropping as anything out there. Nothing can touch it in the RP category.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.