AVS Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm getting ready to buy my first HD and am strongly leaning toward one of the Samsung DLPs. This is mostly for daily TV viewing (sports etc...), movies, and some gaming. I ruled out Plasma because of the potential IR and burn in issues.

The one thing that makes me second guess my DLP decision is viewing angle. Although most of the furniture is directly in front of the TV there is a couch off to the side. Viewing distance would be about 10 feet. How is the viewing angle on the Sammy's? Bad enough to possibly consider an LCD? If so can anyone recommend an LCD in the 2000-2300 range?

Thanks,

R. Bremen

·
Registered
16,177 Posts
Side angle viewing is fine with DLPs (it's vertical angle viewing, if you like to watch standing up, that's a problem). But it's easy enough to check out for yourself at the stores.

·
Coyote Waits
27,308 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbrossard /forum/post/0

The vertical viewing angle, however, is only 30 degrees off center (60 degree total viewing angle).

I wouldn't want to go beyond 15 degrees off center vertically, but you might get away with a bit more than 70 degrees horizontally.

LCD RPTV will have similar viewing angles. LCD flat panels will be close to plasma but the same size image is going to be expensive compared to RPTV sets. At ten feet size is important.

·
Registered
28 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by htwaits /forum/post/0

I wouldn't want to go beyond 15 degrees off center vertically, but you might get away with a bit more than 70 degrees horizontally.

LCD RPTV will have similar viewing angles. LCD flat panels will be close to plasma but the same size image is going to be expensive compared to RPTV sets. At ten feet size is important.

Same thing with LCoS?

The best place in my living room for a large TV is on a table "framing" my gas fireplace, but it'd end up being in the range of 26-32" from ground to tabletop. I'm worried that'd be too high for an RPTV in the 56" size I'm looking at (my couch being ~8-9 feet away). I have a large corner where I could use a normal low TV stand, but my furniture placement would be crappier

·
Coyote Waits
27,308 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elec /forum/post/0

Same thing with LCoS?

All the RPTV types use similar screens.

Quote:
The best place in my living room for a large TV is on a table "framing" my gas fireplace, but it'd end up being in the range of 26-32" from ground to tabletop.

That's probably too high unless you tilt the TV toward you to reduce the vertical viewing angle.

·
Coyote Waits
27,308 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mean /forum/post/0

That's interesting. Has anyone ever tilted their TVs downward when using stands that were tallish? My stand, which will hold even a 60-inch TV, is about 32 inches tall.

I haven't, but there have been people who have reported doing just that. It usually involves a fireplace fetish.

You can check with Samsung for tolerances, but I wouldn't tip a set more than 10 degrees or 15 at the most. Rubber door stops would probably work very well.

If you live in earthquake country you might want to look into some sort of connection to the wall to keep the TV on the stand if the house starts shaking.

·
Registered
2,190 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mean /forum/post/0

That's interesting. Has anyone ever tilted their TVs downward when using stands that were tallish? My stand, which will hold even a 60-inch TV, is about 32 inches tall. G

Yes. We have a Captain Kirk 50 inch. I put a one inch piece of wood under the rear feet. The vertical angle is very narrow.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.