AVS Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi went to see this tv at the best buy today, to compare it to the 50px85 (the other tv i'm thinking of buying) and i didn't like the viewing angle. in the store at 45 degrees it was noticeably darker. my question is: does viewing angle differ from set to set? or is it adjustable somehow? i've heard mistu viewing angles are better, is that true?

·
Registered
59 Posts
Viewing angles of RPTVs suck. Period.

That said I think this is the biggest draw, yet it's a very minor issue in the big scheme of my setup.

I love my HL61A50 and wouldn't give it up for anything. With my callibrations, it uses 97 watts!

·
Registered
16 Posts
to awnsering acuratly to your question, both (HL61A750/HL67A750) have viewing angle of 140 degres horizontaly and 60 degres vertically...

not too bad at all if we compare to 170 degres on lcd and plasma average!!

have mine installed right in front of me!! so is not an issue at all in my case!!

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
yeah i figured it wasn't quite an apples to apples comparison in stores. the distance is correct, but we were standing. i'm not sure if the height they had it was correct and everything. i'll go to a different store and see if i can't get a better comparison

·
Registered
22,348 Posts
The "rated" viewing angles from Samsung are pretty useless, and way off IMHO. Here, it seems that the further off the vertical angle that you are, the narrower the horizontal angle is. The opposite is also true. I wouldn't recommend viewing this set anything but centered at your eye level and perpendicular to your line of sight. This is easily accomplished by tilting the set. This gives me the widest horizontal angle, which does approach the rated angle. It's trade-off for having a larger screen and excellent image at a lower price. There are trade-offs with any type monitor.

·
Registered
1 Posts
How much does the picture quality degrade if my up/down viewing angle is not dead center?

I am having a built-in cabinet made for the HL61a750 (which I haven't bought yet) Perfect height seems to be 19 inches (see below) but my wife thinks a 19inch high cabinet will look dorky (probably she's right).

If I'll be sitting 10ft away from the TV, does anyone know how many inches can I set this up above the center line and not lose picture quality?

Here's my math...

Cabinet height + 1/2 TV height = eye level when seated

Cabinet height = eye level when seated - 1/2 TV height

Cabinet height = 38 - 19

Cabinet height = 19 inches

1 - 7 of 7 Posts