AVS Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got the new Consumer Reports and there's an article about LED backlit sets Samsung LN55A950 ($4200) and Sony KDL-46XBR8 ($5000).

They loved them and at first said the downside at this time is cost.

It isn't until near the end that they reveal another downside:
For all of their merits, the Samsung LN55A950 and Sony Bravia KDL-46XBR8 still fall short in viewing angle, an Achilles' heel for LCDs. They had noticeable degradations in picture quality when viewed from even a slight angle. But viewing angle isn't an insurmountable problem. Other LCD TVs have successfully addressed it, notably the Panasonic TC-37LZ800, TC-37LZ85, and TC-32LZ800. All three have virtually unlimited viewing angles that equal those of any plasma TV.

All that "technology" and $5k with viewing angle still an issue?? Boy I'm glad I bought a Panasonic TC-37LZ85 as my first flat panel for $749.

·
Registered
6,468 Posts
Those sets have LED backlighting which is a newer tech than the CCFL backlighting most use and doesn't have as good off angle viewing. People buying these sets going in know thats not a strong point of the set but to compare those to your TC-37LZ85 is laughable. You got a great set in it's price range but it in no way compares to these sets in any way but viewing angle and that's subjective to the user. Many owners of LED backlit sets are perfectly happy with the off angle viewing. Enjoy your panny.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Oh thanks I am enjoying it -- lots. Why is Panasonic the only one to use those IPS panels in LCD TVs that fix the viewing angle problem? To me that (and a decent SD picture) is what kept me from switching from CRT to LCD until now.

Panny addressed those issues so I bought one.

·
Registered
1,615 Posts
Really, viewing angle is not an issue, at least IMO. I have looked for noticeable issues on the Sony and the Samsung and have not really found anything offensive until I am so far off center that it is not worth watching anyway.

How far off center do you watch your set? Sharp uses a variation of an IPS panel, but it is their own design and patent, so it is called something else.

·
Registered
246 Posts
For a computer monitor I can't use anything but IPS (I have an NEC 2490), but I think sitting further back I can tolerate a decent PVA technology for TV.

IPS technology is patented and other companies make their own panel types to avoid the patents. Samsung are the only builders of PVA, CMO/AUO build MVA, Sharp does ASV. All of these have lesser viewing angles, but they figure they are "good enough" for most people.

Sharps ASV is not a variant of IPS, it is a variant of VA tech and the worse of the bunch from what I have seen.

IPS crowd tends to be Hitachi-LG/Panasonic.

Viewing Angle Ranking: Based on I have seen in Store on TVs, Best to worse:

Panasonic (Alpha IPS)

LG (LG IPS, not quite as good as Alpha for blacks, and not on all sets, low end look like MVA)

Samsung, Sony (High ends sets use Samsung PVA, low end may be MVA)

The rest (MVA and Sharp ASV have the worse viewing angles).

Black Level Ranking. Here is where things trade places. From what I have seen black levels can be the tradeoff, but mainly against the Samsung PVA panels best in class performance, everything else is in second place.

I would look for either 1st place viewing angle with 2nd place blacks (LG/Panasonic) or 1st place black with 2nd place viewing angle (Samsung PVA).

I would avoid everything else with second place blacks and 3rd place viewing angles. (CMO MVA and Sharp ASV).

I do think potentially the best option is an LED dimming panel with a IPS screen. The IPS screen gives first in class viewing angle and the LED local dimming gives the black level. Time will tell.

Edit: case in point. I just picked up a "A" panel samsung (37A530). Viewing angles are quite hideous, if you are sitting in the sweet spot perfectly centered it is ok. But if you stand up, it washes out... I suspect this is not a Samsung PVA panel, but an AOU MVA with inferior viewing angles and black level.

·
Registered
7,233 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmae /forum/post/15493432

I just got the new Consumer Reports and there's an article about LED backlit sets Samsung LN55A950 ($4200) and Sony KDL-46XBR8 ($5000).

All that "technology" and $5k with viewing angle still an issue?? Boy I'm glad I bought a Panasonic TC-37LZ85 as my first flat panel for $749.

Do you even understand the difference between a 37" and 55" experience?

The 55" = HT a 37" does not. Because the economy is down doesn't mean we're all living in trailor parks - a 37" is fine for a secondary viewing room but it certainly doesn't equal the featureset of the 55" LED or PQ or HT experience!!! I own both a 32" and a 57" and they are night and day experiences in favor of the 57". The Front Projector HT enthusiast could and has made the same argument in favor of their HT setup at 100+" and I would agree.

BTW - on viewing angles a BIG B.S. on that as I'd say this reviewer has a bias - I have zero bad viewing angles with my 57" Sharp - if your viewing a panel at a viewing distance = THX standards for HD and it's large it's very difficult to have a bad viewing angle as I have none - I would have to stand at the side of the TV to have that and this is plasma fanboy crap. In reality if the viewing angles were so allegedly poor don't you think plasma would outsell LCD and they wouldn't be selling 100 million a year to the world's consumers. I view a 57" at 8.5' and have no bad viewing angles whatsoever and I own four LCD TV's and have no problem unless I stand adjacent to the sides and why the hell would I view from there? B.S.!!!

I owned Panny Plasma and the thought of that crappy viewing experience makes me want to barf at it's deficiencies in a Sunny Room and it's urinated on whites and mirror like reflective finish and glare which gave one zero viewing angle on a sunny day - pop in FEAR on a 360 on a sunny day and try and see anything on that puppy or a dark movie! It's called WASHOUT = No viewing angle.

There's viewing angle at extreme sides or a smallish LCD in a large room and then there is no viewing or artifact viewing with plasma and CRT with reflections and glare washout = no viewing or PITA viewing with whites that are yellow and dirty looking and dull which is why Panny is working on NEO if you need proof! Go check NEO and you'll see this is what it's addressing.

We're not all poor on this forum and that small LCD serves it's purpose but if one wants a HT experience you have to pay the price and they'll sell everyone of them - go back to the archives when these panels in these sizes were 3 times the current prices and yes we pay a premium for LED as supply and demand rules until the government takes over that space too.

·
Registered
549 Posts
regardless he's point is why by a HDTV for $5000 to $7000 if its not perfect, I personally think lcd's are a joke when compared to a good plasma. plasma's are cheaper and better and not all plasma's have pissy whites, it comes down to your needs and what you want.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts