AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
748 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, well recently, I have decided I want to purchase a RPTV...... problem is, I want a TV with a wide viewing angle. I mean the widest you can get. I want to try and keep it under $5,000, and I want to have the biggest size possible.

Some Must HAVES:

16:9

GOOOOOOD PICTURE QUALITY

480/540/720/1080 whatever it is

atleast 2 component

atleast 2 svideo

and wel thats about it....... can anyone reccomend me something, NOT the GRAND WEGA though......

·
Registered
748 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Problem is, my dad doesn't want a television where you have to replace the bulb, if anyone can tell me some facts on the bulb that could be nice........ i mean 200 bucks every two years.... he aint buying in to it, and our TV's are on all day, people are in and out of this joint, so it has to be BIG, and those inputs I need for my xbox and progressive scan player as well as the ps2 and gc. PICTURE quality is a MOS-DEF!!!!

·
Premium Member
180 Posts
Well based on your requirements you have ruled out RPTVs.

1) LCD/DLP both require lamps.

2) CRT RPTVs are not great on viewing angles and have burn in issue

3) Plasma screen can degrade over time and have burn in issues.

Maybe you should stick with a tube.

I have the GWII and it has a lot of benefits. SD picture quality is improving on my set and that is currently the only negative I am dealing with. I am suprised that you rule out the DLPs and LCDs just because of the lamp issue since you are iwlling to drop 5k on a TV. With the gamming being a big thing for you the LCD or DLP sets are a great fit. I suggest trying to talk Dad into the concept that you trade lamp replacement for the benefit of no burn in.

I think based on your requirements, I think you should reconsider LCD/DLP technologies.

Just my 2 cents.

·
Registered
859 Posts
Isn't the lamp life on most of the digital RP's between 6k - 8k hours? If you put that much mileage on a TV, then you're better off going digital. CRT life is between 10 - 20k before they're too dim to watch. It'll cost more than the cost of replacing the bulbs in a digital to replace the crt's or the tv. Tell your pop to go digital and put up with the bulb replacement. He'll get used to it. 2.5 cents an hour is chicken feed (@8k hours for $200).

·
Registered
506 Posts
Samsung HLM617W

How it matches your criteria:

Wide Viewing Angle - Yes

16:9 - Yes

GOOOOOOD PICTURE QUALITY - Yes to Many People based on 50"

480/540/720/1080 whatever it is - 720P

atleast 2 component - 3 on 50" (1 @ 480i/p restriction may be present)

atleast 2 svideo - Yes 2

Bulb replacement - 5000-8000 hrs (Panny specs 5K hours, Sammy 8K hours I think?)

·
Registered
815 Posts
Buy it from Best Buy with the Extended Warranty and "They'll" come out and replace the bulb for you. Only Extended Warranty I know of that covers bulbs.....

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.