AVS Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

I am currently using a Panasonic AE3000U projector in my home theatre. The source is from a home built HTPC via an HDMI output.

My problem is that when i reboot the computer, i an unable to view the boot/bios screen. Once windows loads, the screen appears but not until then. I am unable to see any error messages ect until windows boots. It is very difficult to work on my computer without being able to access the bios. I currently have to unplug my hdmi connection & plug in a dedicated monitor in order to access the bios.

My computer is capable of DVI, HDMI & VGA output that all work flawlessly with my other tvs. I am able to view the boot screen via HDMI on other devices -so my computer must be working correctly.

I have connected the projector to my computer via VGA and am able to see the boot screen. I am only unable to see the boot screen when plugged in thru HDMI.

It seems that the hdmi signal is kind of low / weak or something during bootup. I have contacted panasonics help line, but they have not returned an answer to me.

Is there a fix for the Panasonic projector to allow me to see this screen.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Damn - I had posted about three paragraphs then somehow clicked back.

Short version - check with your video card manufacturer to see whether or not HDMI is enabled at startup. I'm guessing that the HDMI output doesn't switch on until the driver is loaded.

If that's the case, you might be able to connect your HDMI cable to the DVI. But I don't know whether or not you might run into other problems with that.

Personally, I'd just drag a 15" VGA monitor over to it when I needed to access the BIOS, install an OS, etc...

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the reply.

The onboard video card I am using has been tested with other HDMI devices & functions normally when hooked up to them. The HDMI is enabled upon bootup and as far as I am aware, it must be the projector that is not picking up the signal.

I purchased a crossover to adapt from DVI to HDMI to see if it was just the port that wasn't working correctly when it started & had no luck. Neither digital outputs would show up on the screen when booting.

If all else fails, i can run an auxillary VGA cable for that type of thing, but it isn't what I would call the best answer.

·
Registered
13,326 Posts
I'm not sure if it possible. This is why most HTPC'rs have dual monitor setups.

Many video / movie oriented displays will not display low rez signals via HDMI. Many not even 480i which is standard NTSC.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by JOHNnDENVER /forum/post/18285469

I'm not sure if it possible. This is why most HTPC'rs have dual monitor setups.

Many video / movie oriented displays will not display low rez signals via HDMI. Many not even 480i which is standard NTSC.

I have an LCD tv ( Sharp aquios ) that has no problem displaying when booting though....

is the panasonic that tempermental in displaying low res signals?

·
Registered
13,326 Posts
Many displays are. I'm not even sure what the bios screens resolutions or scan rates are.

I don't think it will display 480i via HDMI input as many SD-DVD players are able to put out. That is considered a needed feature by some and they have had to choose their displays carefully because of it, especially with AVR's that only transcode and not scale.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts