AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2,173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, is there any issue with DLP pjs and viewing distance?

I know about screen-door on LCD, and have seen it. I know a bit about angles of view for various types of screens. I just can't seem to find any limits or caveats on DLP viewing distance because of the projector itself. Are there any? I haven't really seen any, but the pj setups in town really suck for the most part so I don't put much stock in my personal observations to date.

·
Registered
2,689 Posts
Somewhere near 1.7x screen width is THX spec. With even a lower resolution DLP, you probably won't be distracted by FPN at 1.5x and more with a reasonably sized screen.

·
Premium Member
3,215 Posts
The source makes a difference too. I was using a Panny RP91 DVD player and sitting too close was distracting. I was bugged by the artifacts and image noise. I was about 1.2x distance.

Then I bought the new Bravo D1 DVD player with DVI. The image using DVI is so good that I moved the couch back closer! No more analog-to-digital conversion artifacts and video noise to bother me. It made the 91 look broken!

·
Registered
2,173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I thought FPN was an LCD panel issue.

Is that 1.7x for DLP or just general THX? I haven't seen any specifications like that from THX before, they tend to concentrate on the audio for HT these days.

·
Registered
2,689 Posts
All fixed-panel digital displays can have FPN, or screen-door. The wasted space between mirrors on DLP is less than the space between pixels on an LCD of the same resolution, so it's not as much an issue with DLP's at lower resolution/higher magnification.

·
Registered
692 Posts
FPN is a different concept than screendoor. Screendoor is the space between the pixels, which is a feature of all fixed resolution displays at the moment. However, fixed pattern noise is a different concept and DLPs are not subject to it. FPN is caused by each individual pixel on an LCD responding slightly differently to voltages applied, leading to a slightly pattern in solid colors. The problem is that each pixel remains different in relation to the other pixels, so the pattern remains as the picture changes. Depending on picture material, this can be really annoying.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.