AVS Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,

so i'm going to be buying a new hdtv soon to replace my sammy hl 5087 dlp (the star trek one)...although the picture on it is still fantastic and one of the best i've seen..I need a wall mountable one now..

I've been looking at the

Pioneer PDP-5070HD

Pansasonic TH-58PX600U

and the Sharp Aquous LC-52D62U...

I know there are plenty of sharps with the banding issue and it's an lcd vs the other two that are plasmas.

My viewing distance is giong to be about 11 1/2- 12 ft from the screen.

Would the 58 inch panasonic be too big of a size at this distance especially since it's 720p and not 1080p?

Would the difference be noticable at that distance or would you recommend the pioneer since it's 50 inches (but also 720p).

I'm considering the sharp aquous because it's 1080p, a great size at 52 inches and an lcd (which I previously thought were the best, but i'm hearing from a lot of people that plasmas have richer color saturation and deeper blacks.

Anyways...those three are on my potential list...any advice or thoughts regarding them would be appreciated. And feel free to mention any other tv's that would be in the the range of 2000-2250 or less that you feel would be better than these but must be at least 50 inches.

Thanks!

·
Registered
13,531 Posts
The Panasonic 58" 768p plasma is definitely not too big. Assuming average vision, your eyes won't even resolve high-definition from a 50" displayed viewed at 12'.

High-definition was designed for larger screens; the high-definition picture looks better and better as you go larger (to a point). Local channels like ABC, CBS, FOX, and NBC, as well as cable channels like Comcast Sportsnet and Fox Sportsnet, ESPN, ESPN2, TNT, FOOD, MTV, Discovery, Wealth, NGC, HBO, Cinemax, Starz, Showtime, and TMC are already offered in HDTV, with others like Cartoon Network, CNN, FX, History, SciFi, and the Weather Channel expected to follow later this year. High-definition channel lineups for different providers can be found here .

Quote:

Table assumes average corrected vision, i.e. 20/20 or one arc minute.

Find your viewing distance on the left.

With 1080p displays, the best picture with Blu-ray and HD-DVD is obtained at the red line. For the best experience with a mix of SD and HD content, I recommend a screen size and viewing distance that falls somewhere between the green and red lines, i.e the red shaded area. However, if your viewing is primarily Blu-ray, HD-DVD, and other high-definition, you want to be as close to the red line as possible.

Without a sufficiently large screen, or a sufficiently short viewing distance, you get no benefit from 1080p. At the blue line, there is no benefit to high-definition over a quality SD source. At the green line, there is no benefit to a 1080p panel over a 720p panel. As soon as you pass the green line, you start to see some benefit from 1080p, but the full benefit of Blu-ray and HD-DVD is not realized until you hit the red line. Note for broadcast and cable channels, the benefit you can see with 1080p will depend on the quality of the video processing in the display .

1 - 2 of 2 Posts