AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
898 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I understand that the rule of thumb for a 1080i CRT RPTV of sitting 3-4 times the picture height results in being too close to a 720p DLP. Would it be acceptable to sit closer to a 1080p DLP than a 720p set? Can someone familiar with the Toshiba or Mits 1080p LCOS sets estimate how much 1080p changes the rule of thumb?

·
Registered
32,172 Posts
This is going to be serious personal preference.

Keep in mind that the artifacts in the picture and things like the dithering that are masked by a bit of distance, become more visible if you are too close.

Nothing about resolution will really change that, alas.

Mark

·
Registered
2,530 Posts
Three times height is the CCITT/ITU reference for HDTV's. It is also close to the distance at which your 20x20 eye can fully resolve a 1080p picture. SMPTE recommends a little larger distance. All these come out to be 147% to 162% of the diagonal size.

From experience, I find that these distance recommendations are a little too immersive. They may be fine for home theater rooms but too close for family rooms and dens. Also, if your picture is not perfect, then you get to see too many flaws.

I advise a rule of thumb for HDTV that is 2 times diagonal size - plus or minus 20% -- i.e. 180-220% of diagonal size. From experience with two 720p sets, this works very well.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.